"So bright they call me sonny"!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "So bright they call me sonny"!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Bright '15 on T-bay. No connection to this. Pics remind me of the '12 somethin-or-other on T-bay a while back.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-Ford-Model-T-Brass-Era-Roadster-Runabout-/142430570 899?hash=item2129860993:g:FccAAOSw-29ZVXpa&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Kinda hurts my eyes. Cute though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 11:01 am:

It may have been altered in some way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 11:24 am:

I like Steve's black one better. There might be some advantage as far as safety goes with this color. A little striping might break up the mass of Yellow.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Lower front section of rear fender seems to be painted in a "brass" colour...first time (and hopefully the last) I've seen that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 11:34 am:

One of our club members has a 15 touring painted abut the same shade but it has black fenders/running boards. It's a very nice looking touring in my op.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 11:38 am:

De gustibus et coloribus, non disputandum est.
. . . said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Might not be every ones cup of tea, but it isn't a bad little roadster. Wouldn't take much to make it right for the holier than thou crowd but that would need to be reflected in the asking price.

(Message edited by vwgary on July 01, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Constantine:
Maybe fender mounted speakers?
Air vent to cool the brakes?
Something similar to eye-black because the glare off the fender into the side view mirror is too intense?...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Black fenders and windshield frame and a Yellowstone Park Logo on the door would be my fix for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Decent car for the asking price. I'm curious about the serial number on the plate. Nine million seems a bit high for a 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

My general rule when buying cars is to subtract 50% for yellow paint.

There are a few exceptions of course, but this one I couldn't live with for very long before I would have to sell it or paint it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Actually, any owner could have their new or used Model T repainted any color they wanted. I like yellow. And for Stynoski judging you would lose points for that color -- but think of the conversations you could start. For example, Is it true that the early black paints tended to fade more quickly than today? And is it true that on rare occasions they would fade to yellow over the years -- but only if they had been exposed to enough sunlight to cause the headlamp lenses to turn a purple color first? Ok it is a good conversation starter and it has a little truth in it. After all, Ford did use black paint and it did fade over time see: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#paint4 . But the part about it turning to yellow is purely made up to make it a better story.

Note as a kid I loved the plastic yellow Stutz Bearcat model my folks gave me to assemble. (Thank you auto world mobilia for putting the photo below in the public domain - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stutz_4.jpeg )

And I agree with Richard that some nice contrasting striping could make it look sharper.

I looked up the story of the yellow 1911 Torpedo that is on the cover of the Mar-Apr 1977 "Model T Times." Her husband had passed away before he could assemble their project. About 90% plus had been finished and the chassis had been test run, but the body and other parts needed to be assembled. His widow made arrangements to have the car assembled and finished. She and her husband had discussed the original blue color versus yellow before they started the restoration. They had concluded, If Mr. Ford knew how pretty a yellow Torpedo would be chances are he would have made them that color. That cover photo also reminded me of the yellow Stutz Bearcat model I once had.

I think if the car on ebay runs and drives as nice as it looks, it would be a really fun T. Hey it would be more fun to drive than my 1915 that is not running, doesnt have tires, needs the engine rebuilt, etc. But for that price range, I would strongly encourage any bidder to look at several Ts before making a decision.

Im 70% sure that car or one similar to it was on the forum within the past 10 years or so in an unrestored condition. Note, with the previous unrestored one as well as this restored one it appears to be a nicely modified cut off touring body.

Compare the photo above with the photo of Aunt Marys 1917 shown below: [Thank you Shorpy see the original photo at: http://www.shorpy.com/node/4432?size=_original ]

Note the windshield and top bows on the yellow car also appear to be the later rectangular top bows and mid 1917-1922 windshield brackets to body and windshield hinges.

If the registration number of 9,070,861 is the original motor number supplied on the engine block, then the engine number would have been entered on the engine logs on Jan 19, 1924. The listing says the engine was replaced with an earlier Model T. Perhaps he meant with an engine that was not as old as the original one?

The chassis does have the above the axle wishbone. But none of the photos I looked at showed if the springs were tapper leaf or clipped end. The photos do show that the car is very clean underneath. And that it has the forged running board brackets instead of the later pressed steel style that were introduced during 1921ish.

Some positive items:

Ruckstell axle, accessory brakes, accessory shocks, looks nice in the photos. The description says older restoration showing some normal wear and tear.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Hap, I had/have that model too! Still haven't finished it.I didn't like the way the black striping was going on the fenders, so I stopped back in 1970 to figure out a better way, then never got back to it--I THINK the box is still in the storage room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

That whole body is Mickey Mouse. As Hap said, it appears to be a cut-off touring body with some added body work.

The tops and bottoms of the doors lean backwards and are not parallel to the ground.

The trunk deck is tapered from front to back. It is also not the proper length from front to back (too short).

Hap I was thinking that same thing, that I had seen an unrestored version of this car before. Maybe it's the same car that David Kriegel posted a while back, only now it has been "restored." See this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/215063.html?1307066540

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Homemade trunk lid with single latch handle in the middle. Pretty clever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Hap makes a good point on the Bearcat. The Yellow Mercer Racabouts in the mid teens were particularly nice. The low profile and powerful engine made these unforgettable.

My 2 cents on yellow is that it can be delightful if carefully managed. Here are pictures of my Speedster. the First body, left, is without stripes. The second picture is the second body with stripes.

I copied Mercer striping as it had pleased me. Striping is subtle but sure makes a difference.
I had bought some Yellow paint for my Yellowstone bus but used it on the speedster. Over the years I decided that the more conservative colors White used on their production cars was more appealing to me than the Yellow. While not period correct I believe my Bus, right, looks better "Not Yellow".

The Bus on the left belongs to Merrill Maxfield, a restorer of several YPC Buses. It has some nice striping to break up the color. These were also furnished with black fenders sometimes.

We all make our choices and live with the good and bad opinions they bring. I believe we should follow what ideas we like and not worry what our detractors may think or say.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Could we call it lemon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

I was thinking that "Sunny" would look better if the fender beads were painted black, a la Bearcat. That would be just enough to please the eye. The T body doesn't easily lend itself to more striping like that, and that might get things too "busy."
But I love your Yellow Peril" Rich!
It must take strong arms to drive those YPC buses! Those puppies are HUGE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

David, this years trip in the '09 to Yellowstone was much easier driving than the Bus up there. You must remember the "Yellow Peril" in the Dan Post book:

It was a well executed use of yellow and complimenting items. Also, "Daffodil" that Phil Reed assembled came out nicely.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Rich,
That's probably where I picked up the name--your car just seemed fit for it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:44 am:

Erik,

Thank you for posting the link http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/215063.html?1307066540 .

Yes, that car advertised back in 2011 was the car I was thinking about. And it probably is the "..'12 somethin-or-other on T-bay a while back" that Tim mentioned. Clearly it was not a 1912 but it was advertised as one.

While they were both modified cut offs with the 1915-1916 hood former, the one advertised back in 2011 had the correct 1915-mid 1917 windshield brackets and equal length windshield hinges. While the one advertised now does not. If I was going to the effort to build a 1915 I would have kept the period correct windshield parts. And the one advertised back in 2011 had the wishbone below the axle (mid 1919 and later) while the current one has the correct above the axle wishbone mid 1919 and earlier. It might be the same car -- but if so, many parts were replaced. David Kriegel might know if that is the same car. Clearly there were several 1915-16 cut offs made over the years. Including my Blackie.
David -- I'm glad you may still have your Stutz Bearcat model. My Dad was in the military so we moved a lot. And then I joined the military and moved a lot. A few things got lost in all the moves including that model.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Hap, Having only really moved twice in my life--I have WAY too much stuff!! Although the one thing I really lost was the original upholstery to my Model A, someone decided that box wasn't important, although it was well-marked. No one will "fess up" to the deed either. I had some original sport coupe top material in that box (something that is now unobtainium, not even in repro material).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Rich, I REALLY like your Yellowstone Tour Bus... Maybe some day I'll pass by your place and get to see it. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Keith, the bus is always on display in the garage. It would be fun to meet you.
David, not to "drift" this thread too far but I was thinking of top material today too. I was too lazy to venture out and get some leather for my hood edges so I took some top material scraps, doubled them and slid them into the retainer strips. 30 some years ago a friend and I decided to purchase some top material for my Bus and his REO. We tried to buy half a roll of colonial grain material for a supplier. They said they could not cut a roll, we would have to buy the whole roll. I like to often buy extra steel or brass stock figuring I can always use it but this ran into some money. We decided it was worth it so we made the purchase. Imagine my surprise when two rolls appeared on the porch. It seems they had to cut the roll in half to ship it UPS.
Since then I have done 5 tops for myself and 3 for friends. The material is almost gone now. In addition I have found the material good for all kinds of things. I even use little rectangles to protect my fingers from sand paper.
Sorry to hear of the loss of your material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Rich, Yep sometimes ya gotta buy what ya gotta buy. There was an auction years ago here of an upholstery shop. I won some rolls of material, one was a brown grained vinyl that was a good match for some locomotive seats I needed to do. Well, we did the seats, and put them in the locomotive. "WHAT"S THAT SMELL???" was the first response the next day. That material had an awful off-gassing that was putrid! No wonder there was such a large roll of it at the auction! It did settle down after a while, or we got used to it. . .
Sad thing about that box of upholstery I lost, was the box was never moved; it was kept in the garage where I restored the car at my folks' place; a garage that was supposed to be set aside for my "stuff" including my car. Well shortly after I took my car away (another strange story; my brother was now running the place), the box disappeared in a "clean up" project. That room is still full of junk, just not my junk. I do come from at least 2 generations of pack rats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

There are two kinds of people in the world (how many times have you heard that with different sets of two?).
Those with "itchy feet", that must move every few years. They should NEVER acquire "stuff".
And those that like their stuff. They should find a place they like, and NEVER move.

I know which one I am. Too bad my family can't understand that.

I think George Carlin said it best. How come your stuff is junk, and my junk is stuff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Who would own a bright yellow car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Me! :-O

dart01

dart06

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 09:18 am:

As RDRicks would say, YFAF! Yellow Fords Are Faster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 09:53 am:

There are two kinds of people, my friend: those who divide people into two types and those who don't.

I can imagine Tuco (The Good, The Bad and the Ugly) saying "There are two kinds of people in this world: those who paint cars Yellow and those who talk about it on the Forum."

Ralph seemed to have more than enough fun with his Speedster. I miss his comments here.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:33 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1711jiiRtM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

The little lemon is at 14,7 with 3 days left---doing pretty well, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Thanks Mark. I like these two too.

"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting."
Tuco

"There are two kinds of spurs, my friend. Those that come in by the door; those that come in by the window."
Tuco

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

my grandkids call this the BUMBLEBEE

1924 Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

There are two kinds of people . . . Those who realize Tuco was actually the main character in that movie, and those who think it was Clint Eastwood. Folks in the latter group paint their Model Ts red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

whoops---wrong size---try again:

`24 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

I'm not sure Lee Van Cleef would agree with either group. He was given second billing. Not sure what his Model T color preference was.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

`24 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Lee Van Cleef's character wouldn't own a Model T. Too humorless ! (even his horse hated him !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Paul, nice looking touring ! Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

LOL Richard I feel like you're trying to stir the pot a little. Tuco certainly gets the most screen time, lines, and character development in GBU. But I think it takes all three of them to really tell the story. And ultimately the trilogy is about Blondie. And I hate red (Georgia Tech fan).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Seth, our son ended up graduating from GaTech, maybe he was influenced somehow ? I cheered for Rich E.'s "yellow peril" from the start, and we had a '65 Mustang we painted yellow. Subliminal message ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Awesome! I hope to get my masters at GT. Ask your son "What's the good word?!?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

A past president of my chapter had a 26' Touring that was painted bright yellow and had loads of chrome accessories. We named it "The Chrome Canary". It was a perfect description but the owner did not like it! The 15' is a nice looking car but I would much prefer to buy one with correct body,paint and engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 04:35 am:

Rich B. don't judge "Angel Eyes" too harshly. His despicable, murderous nature was only a front. Few new him as a sensitive gentleman with a love of music, poetry and fine upholstery. His generosity to charity and kindness to children went unnoticed. Many of us appear brash and even cruel to hide our sensitive natures.
Rich

P.S. He was working on an associate's degree from Georgia Tech in his spare time as I recall.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration