Accessory foot feed linkage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Accessory foot feed linkage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

I have a Williams foot feed pedal. This linkage doesn't look like the Williams linkage but I thought I might could make it work, but I can't figure out how it works. Price is too much just for the linkage imo but would be ok if the carburetor is rebuildable. I can't tell from the pictures if the threads are good where the bowl nut screws in and don't know how you'd repair those. I'm not much of a gambler but win or lose on the carb, does anybody know how this linkage works?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

I saw that and was wondering the same thing. I think it's one of those buy it and with it in hand try and work it out things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Price is too rich for me. The carb looks like it has spent time under water and the link is missing parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

That's what I was thinking. For that much I'd want at least one useable part, preferably both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

It doesn't look right to me. The "rod slide" in the "multi bell crank" doesn't look like it would work very well. Like it wouldn't allow the bell crank to turn freely (it MUST!) without swinging the rod (it can't!). My guess is that it could be modified to work easily enough. But, then, most simple bell cranks can be made to work easily. And if you don't have a simple bell crank, they are easy to make, one way or another.
Unfortunately, explaining how to do it? Isn't so easy.
Some foot feeds pull at the carburetor. Some of them push at the carburetor. Either way, a simple "slide pull" for the hand throttle must be made, and it MUST allow the bell crank to turn the butterfly inside the carburetor freely for the foot feed.
Some of the original linkages allow the foot pedal to remain unmoved when the hand throttle is used. Many move the foot pedal down as the hand throttle is moved down. Some of them that pull at the carburetor used a chain to pull, allowing free use of the hand throttle without the strain of pulling the foot feed linkage and pedal.

I have to go. Maybe more later. Hopefully that is a start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Corey - I bought a very nice '23 Roadster Pickup at an estate sale a couple years ago, and the fellow (Bob McDonald - R.I.P.) that built it had put a "foot feed" on it and frankly, I never use it because I find it very difficult to use. It looks quite different than yours, so this might not apply, but the trouble I have is that you cannot feed fuel as precisely with the foot-feed as you can with the Ford hand throttle. Seems like it's either "all on" or "all off" and very difficult to feed fuel smoothly at any throttle setting in between! I have considered installing a small foot rest adjacent to the gas pedal, similar to the factory Model A set-up, as I think this might make it easier to use, however, I'm so used to feeding gas on Model T's with the factory hand throttle that I just haven't bothered to do it. Anyway, for what it's worth,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

I for one, the only reason I would think about it is, I drive in too much traffic to safely operating the throttle with my left hand and shifting the Warford with my right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

This adv shows pretty much how it fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Looked again at the design

Think that one you posted Corey is a Redi Fit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Cool ad Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

What a clever and weird way for that linkage to work. Why wouldn't they just put a return spring on the carb then run a pair of chains in tension; one to the hand control and one to the foot control?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration