Rear axle nuts & cotter pins

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle nuts & cotter pins
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

The time came to put the rear wheels on my '21 Touring and I was surprised to find that my axles do not have holes for cotter pins. Neither axle has the holes. What gives?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

That's a new one on me! Hopefully there is enough thread remaining to use a locknut on top of the regular nut, or in a pinch I suppose you could use Loctite and inspect it occasionally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Drill the cotter pin holes and install cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

If these are old axles, the cotter pin holes could be filled with remains of a cotter pin. Look them over carefully and see if you can see where they are. If they are newer axles, then put your axle nuts on and use the nuts as a guide to drill new holes for them. This is too critical to leave it to chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Clean the ends, chase the threads, and look for debris, caked dirt, or busted off old cotter pin blocking the hole.

There must be a hole for a cotter pin on the axle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

With all the tours in the near future and parades and such; this is a good time to take those rear hubcaps off an retighten the axle nuts. I've tightened the nuts as many as 4 castellations after many miles on a rebuilt. Most axle breakages occur simply by wallowing out the key way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

David Dewey probably has it right. It's sometimes common practice to skip the cotter pin removal and just let the nut shear off the cotter pin. This leaves both ends of the pin sheared clean with the axle, making it appear that there's no hole. Look closely, I think you'll find a well hidden hole, filled with the remains of a sheared cotter pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

It doesn't just happen on axles, and it's not always this obvious. Sometimes it's almost invisible. You really have to look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

Excellent illustration Steve, THANKS!!
If you hit the threads with some penetrating oil, sometimes that will show you where the hole is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

The axles are genuine Ford. There ARE NO holes in either one. I cleaned them and had three other people looking. What size drill bit do I need? I will buy a new cobalt bit to do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

5/32" hole, use a big cotter rear axle nuts.

Can't believe you have good Ford axles without cotter holes, IMO, check out all dimensions of those axles before use. May be factory rejects.

Ford above
Modern repro below

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 08:05 am:

It appears that the
hole might belong back from the end 3-4 threads or at the 6th or 7th thread , as in Steve J's picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Go by Dan's picture and put it four threads from the end. My picture shows the sheared off cotter pin filling a hole, but it's not an axle.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration