OLD FASHIONED ROD ADJUSTMENT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OLD FASHIONED ROD ADJUSTMENT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

My #3 connecting rod was making a loud rattling noise mostly when decelerating. In adjusting the cap clearance I went the Plastigage route and struggled for 3+ hours. A combination of old eyes, hands and a belly in the way made the project more difficult than it should have been. In desperation I went the old tried and true way of using a 1" piece of newspaper to set the proper clearance and it worked like a charm. #3 is nice and quiet now which allows me to hear a faint rattle from one or more of the other rods. Forget Plastigage! I'll be using newspaper for future adjustments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

John: You could use the Ford method as described in Par 386, page 99 and shown in Fig 237, page101 in the Service book. It worked then and still works. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration