Video of the under carriage and what might cause the front right wheel to wobble?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Video of the under carriage and what might cause the front right wheel to wobble?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Here is a YouTube link to the under carriage of the Model T. My son placed go pro camera underneath. You will want to pause here and there if you want to slow it down and re-see parts like the suspension......

If anyone has suggestions as to why the right front wheel is wobbly please let me know. I took it off twice and did find the reason the first time but not the second time. Everything about the wheel is new reproduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMcj_U5xIrM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:46 am:

IMHO I would swap the front wheels left to right to confirm if
the problem moves too. Looks like it could be a buckled wheel.

Are there any steering / driving issues with the vehicle? How did you discover the problem? You have a very nice car and I've seen worse wheel run out caused by a buckled wheel with
no apparent issues.
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Robert: You have an interesting problem. Post what you find that corrects it. It could be a warped rim, loose wheel bearing. My thoughts were to jack up the wheel and find the spot where the wheel is at it's most inward cant and put a mark on the tire, turn the wheel till it is in it's most outward cant. Loosen the wheel bolts. Turn the wheel till the top leans out and tighten those bolts till it will come back to straight up and then tighten the other bolts and re peen the nuts and spin the wheel and see what has happened.
it may help and may not, and if not send it to a wheelright. Good luck and safe driving!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Thank you both. Good suggestions!!!

I will report what I found when I can get to it. For the past few days we have been working on getting the car ready for the parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:52 am:

I agree with Alan..as I had a similar issue with Clarabelle my '13. Swapped wheels, problem moved over. Turned out to be an out of true rim. Hard to tell watching the video but sort of looks the same to me. I suspect over the years, these R.F. wheels got banged into things an awful lot, resulting in the rim being bent just enough to cause the wobble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I had one similar to that and I pulled the hub out of the wheel and rotated the hub and bolted the wheel back onto the hub. It trued it up. I don't know whether the hub was bent and the spokes had been ground to fit the hub or just re bolting it trued it up, but anyway, it worked.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration