Have some 26 Coupe questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Have some 26 Coupe questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Davis on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:25 am:

I'm finally getting around to fixing up my t Model that I've had for over 50 years. The last time I drove it was in 1965. The sub-frame is pretty much gone. I ordered a rear frame member from Howells and it's nothing like the one I have, I was able to find another sub-frame in pretty good condition. But, there are some slight differences. The hole for the battery on my old car is all the way across and used a large piece of wood. On the new subframe part of the hole is covered with a piece of sheet metal only exposing the battery. Also the rear frame member is like the one howell made it has flanges bent 90 deg to the member which is riveted to the corner piece. Also on the old frame there was a wooden piece the went side to side that the seat back screwed to and on the new frame it"s metal. So why the differences, It's not earth shaking but I'm curious and would like to know, if anyone does. Thanks loads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Richard the sub frame and floor are two different things, the sub frame are the channels that support the body and the floor, the floor is attached to the sub frame. The floor would only have the opening for the battery not the wood, someone has changed it. You might take some time and google "mtfca.com 1926 coupe floor" there is lots of information that has been posted on people working on that part of the body. The seat attachment could just be the time frame the body was built in, like some have full metal rear window frames in the body and others wood around the metal lip that holds the window. Photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Richard: Don Booth has posted a number of pics to the forum over the years of 26-27 coupes in various stages of restoration. He has helped me a great deal with my 26 coupe project. Good luck, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

There are some differences in the trunk, rear cross member and package shelf between the early and later 26 and 27 coupes. I found this on my Dec 26 coupe that has no flange on the rear cross member, a wooden package shelf, a battery opening that is just the size of the battery (instead of wider) and a minor bracket change or two in the trunk. Casual observers would never notice but if you want it to be correct check your build date for the car and when the changes took place.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration