Wire wheel wont go on now

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wire wheel wont go on now
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

I recently had a wire wheel powder coated. Now I cannot get the wheel on the hub. Looks like I might have to sandblast the inside and just put on a layer of spray paint so it will fit again. Unless anyone else has a better suggestion? Never realized it was a tight fit on the hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Dave that's actually a good thing, you want a nice snug fit on the hub. I wouldn't sand blast the inside. Rather, get one of those sand paper wheel flaps and put it on a drill or air tool. There's really only a short narrow section that needs to be the right diameter. You may can even just sand it by hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

They some times lay the powder coating on pretty thick. I had that issue on my Plymouth when I had the trunk rack done. I had to run a file in all the bolt holes to get the bolts through so I am not surprised that you have encountered that problem. I would just try to remove enough of the finish without going back to bare metal until it fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

After getting wheels back we take a ream with the correct angle and clean the area where the lug nuts fit to help seat them and keep from chipping the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

The bolts fit fine. The stem was a really tight fit but I blame that on the tube maker. I like Seth's suggestion so I will try that first. Thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration