My new toy....Kwik Way pocket cutter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My new toy....Kwik Way pocket cutter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

I just won this Kwik-Way pocket cutter. Between the part set I have with pilots and this one I will have a 99% complete set. Question, what is the light green piece in the set? I have not seen that piece in other sets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Its probably detailed in that little green book, A.K.A. the "instruction Manual"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:12 am:

They're called leaves. Looks like you have weeds starting in the gravel. That's the only light green I see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:22 am:

I see some green thing inside but of course haven't a clue.... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:05 am:

LOL I am color blind with some shades of green/blue. anyway, it's the piece inside at the bottom right side of the box. I have a feeling it will not have any information in the manual, like I said, haven't seen one like it in the other kits. Might be a ream guide, I'll do more checking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 11:07 am:

The instructions should have some technical information on it, and the parts list will at least identify it by its proper name.

Like you said, most likely an adjustable angle jig for reaming guides or cutting seats for inserts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 12:13 am:

Just call Kwik Way, they are still in business.

just sayin'

brasscarguy.

my guess is that is a mandrel for the exact location of the expanding mandrel to locate the cutter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 03:08 am:

Hmmm,....well, here I go again,....about to show my ignorance like I just did in another recent thread......

I thought Kwik-Way made valve refacing machinery and equipment for doing automotive valve work. And that Kwik-Way set you just acquired and pictured in this thread looks like it would be used to cut new valve seats. But you call it a "pocket cutter" set.

I thought "pocket cutter" tools were related to woodworking. So what exactly is that set that you're talking about used for???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:36 am:

That set is used for doing valve seat replacement with the engine still in the car. That green piece is probably used for locating the reamer if you need to over size the valve guide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 09:59 am:

You have to cut a pocket to insert the seat. Yes this set is for valve work. This set cuts the pocket and has an insert driver. The piece upper right, holds both the cutter and driver. The pilots used for this setup come as, for example; a base size of say 5/16 on the stem that is inserted in the valve hole. Then the sizes range up by .001 or .002 increments (I would have to go look to make sure which it is), 5/16 +.002, 5/16+.004 etc

After some thinking I think it is for locating a reamer for over sized valve stems also. I asked the question because it is not part of the kit and looks to have been added later, different color. Like I said it is not shown in any of the other kits I have looked at and so far have been unable to find any information.

If I don't come up with any more info, calling kwik Way is a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

WOW! Thanks for the explanation Mark & Jeff. I didn't even realize that it was possible to insert a replacement valve seat with the engine still in the car! I thought the only way to do that was to take an engine block to a machine shop for that kind of work! Thanks again,......harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration