Does anyone know the source of these two photos of a "Model T RV?"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anyone know the source of these two photos of a "Model T RV?"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hunnibell on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:58 am:

I am pretty sure they were posted here at one point or another. They are clearly of the same vehicle and couple, but I am looking for:

1. Details as to WHEN and WHERE this was taken.
2. Any educated guess as to the vintage of the vehicle.
3. Higher-resolution images.
4. Any owner/publication citation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Here's another post where they appear, without identification though: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/367265.html?1371471123

Looks like a 1915 or '16 cut off touring or runabout made into a RV :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

That slide out table is pretty neat. The comfy looking bed with screened sides were are nice too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

The woman leaning against the camper is texting or playing on her iPad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

I've never seen a Model T RV, but here's RV's Model T:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

It looks a lot like a WWI ambulance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

RV..... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Nice ride RV!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

I cant believe R.V. still has snow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Thanks; the picture was taken at Mark & Sherri Cameron's after they installed that spanking new top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

I have that photo in my files as coming from;

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027710+X-27710

... but it's a dead end now. Sorry

It's titled: Camping in Rock[y] Mt. Lake Park photo made by Ford Optical Company, 1029 16th St., Denver, CO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

When I was driving across to Richmond IN in 2008 I was in Needles on the border of California and Arizona and was approached by a guy and his daughter who were travelling with a horse float to a show and he took my home address and sent me a magazine "Heritage" from the Colorado historical Society Winter 2008 addition.

In it is an article "From Go light to Golite" about early days of camping in Colorado.

The photo as titled by Garnet above appears in the article. It also has a great shot of the "Autobungaloafer" another period motorhome and the Izett Sleeper as well as other camping period shots of campsites and people.

A good quality photo could possibly be found with the Historical Society.

autoloafer

Izett Sleeper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 07:10 am:

Their phone # is BR 549....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hunnibell on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Folks

The post by Garnet at July 03, 2017 - 09:17 pm was the key. He had the title. I searched for the Ford Optical Company and found both photos in the Denver Digital library:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/55658 /rec/93
and
http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/55656 /rec/110

A man and woman prepare a meal in the back of their camper at Rocky Mountain Lake Park in the Berkeley neighborhood of Denver, Colorado. The grill and cooking utensils sit on a drawer that slides under the truck. A dog sniffs at a platter of corn, a woman cooks food in pan, and a man pours coffee. A bucket, basin, bags and newspapers are on the ground. Hats and clothing are hung from hooks inside the camper. The license plate reads: "Colo. 18 534, 1918."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Mark,

Thank you for posting the links. You can zoom in and see many additional details.

Roger,

Now that we can zoom in on the photo we can clearly see that it is a runabout. In the one that was originally posted it was not a high enough resolution for me to know for sure one way or the other. You can easily see in the zoomed in photo below that there is NOT a straight line at the same height as the fake front door. If it had been a touring that would have been visible.

1915 or 1916 - yes. If it had the brass trim it would be a 1915. If it did not have the brass trim it could still be a very late 1915 or a regular 1916. From: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc15.htm it has:

JUN 19, 1915 Acc. 575, Box 19, Ford Archives

Headlight door. Change from brass to black steel specified.

I don't know how much overlap there may have been when both styles were possibly used. There may or may not be brass showing on the headlamp and side lamp.

The safe date range is 1915 or 1916 -- it is clearly one of those two years. But as I zoomed in to confirm it was too hard for me to tell if it did or did not have brass trim on the lamps below is what I saw:

We can see the sun light reflecting off the brass bell of the hand Klaxon. And from the top of the side lamp as well as the front headlamp rim. Based on that I would say it probably did have brass trim on the lamps and if so it was a 1915.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

But while munching lunch and looking at the other photo, the tail lamp and right side lamp do not appear to have any brass. So that would make the left front side a 1915 and the right side and rear a very late 1915 or 1916. Ok -- probably not....

Note also how the edge of the tool box is shiny...

Respectfully wondering which it was....

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

I wouldn't go by the horn, as it's an aftermarket accessory. Its bell could be brass, or it could be nickel like my Stewart horn. But the headlight rim is obviously brass, and the side lamp door and top appear to be brass also. I vote 1915 too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 07:14 am:

Steve,

You are correct that the Klaxon horns were aftermarket and were not supplied from the factory. But it shows the painted section versus the non-painted (brass, nickel) section and how it also reflects the sun light much better than the painted area.

I always appreciate your postings and thank you for all your do to promote our hobby and club.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration