The Visit.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Visit.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Friends stopped by today with their 1914 model T touring.Their young and really enjoy driving the wheel's off their car! We met them a few years ago when they parked next to us at the ocf. It's sad to report they will also miss this years ocf but who knows,maybe next year we might all be back?It was nice to see them and maybe we will again in Standish. Lizzie turned 103 today!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Happy birthday Lizzie! Ordered my top today Bud. I wont be running about topless much longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Bud, there's a trip from Standish to Omer and back, friday evening before the saturday show. We're meeting at the Standish Depot at 5:00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Dallas,Good luck with your top!! Has your friend did anything with the Scripts Booth? Ed i will try to make it the eighth but i'm very lazy so?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Watch out for the crowds in Omer, and be careful at the railroad crossing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Thomas,The Sucker run is long since over so Omer should be dead.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Bud,The Sucker Run. That brings back memories of being a kid in Michigan. Catch'em,clean'em,can'em. Eat fish all winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Omer. It used to have a sign that said "Sucker capital of Michigan". As a kid, I didn't know they were talking about fish.
I do remember standing high on a bank or the railroad bridge in there and watching the
sandy Rifle River bottom turn black as another run of suckers swam by in massive numbers from bank to bank. We regularly filled garbage cans and the beds of pickup trucks with those slimy devils.

Once we had about 100 of them still in the basement freezer when my brother unplugged it to use the outlet for something and left it unhooked for days- stinky devils too!
Food never did taste the same coming out of that freezer, even years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

-Bud, Dallas, Dale & Co.-
Your comments brought back memories.... Our farm was next to the 'Embarrass' (yes, Embarrass!) River, when I was a young fishing nut almost to the extreme. After I'd dutifully cleaned the suckers, (those 'red horse' had too many fine bones), my mom would slice them up for canning/pickling as future snacks. 'Sushi' was not a part of anyone's vocabulary! Fortunately, this was before the hazards of contaminated waters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

We had 90 acres and the Little Salt River ran through it.Back in the old days Suckers netted in the spring were the only fish we ever had.We used to keep a few slices of bread handy for the bones!! Smoked were much much better and the Red Horse ran at the end of the run.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Bud,I agree. The smoked suckers were the best. A little hard to keep'em lit tho! LOL. All kidding aside, my mother could cook a rock and make it taste good. Back then we ate what ever was available. You ate what was on the table and was glad to have it. We finished what was on our plate and wasted nothing. Today is much different!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

So, if you ever want a look of bewilderment from today's kids, tell them about the old 'smokehouse', and how you kept it going. Farm kids, country kids, suburban or city kids will likely have entirely different visions.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

I never knew you could eat sucker fish. Out here on the Sacramento River (in the mountains where it's still a stream) we fished for Trout. If we got a sucker, we threw it back, YECH!! BLEAH! I don't think anyone thought of cleaning and cooking one!
BTW, I was a terrible fisherman, rarely caught anything, but fortunately the resort customers caught lots, so we had fish most of the summer. The "natives" were much more flavorful than the "Plants" the Fish & Game put in the river.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Dallas,My much older sister went to collage in Anderson,Ind and once we went to a fish fry in the gym. I could not believe you could have all you could eat,and there were no bones!!We just went for a T ride!! Back in the old days my dad and Sam Rowe went netting one night and caught approx 1,000 suckers!! They filled the box on a 26 T pick up and went to the big city to sell them.Their story was they broke a crankshaft and they got back after 3 days broke!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

David,we ate a lot of things growing up that didnt sound good. Meat was meat back then. We were friends with an old trapper so meat was not a problem.Porkupine,muskrat,groundhod,beaver,bear it all ate and didnt kill us. Lots of bean soup! Looking back I wouldnt have it any other way.
Bud I was the same way. Never knew you could have fish without bones. Suckers,pike and pan fish was the fish we had. My dad was not a hunter so we took what was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

David,In 1963 i flew into Atlanta and they had Rainbow Trout on the list so i decided to try it.The young country boy was kind of put off when they brought the fish with the head on it!!! It was good but i did not eat the head! Dallas,We had bean soup often but never any meat in it.A lady i was helping with horses made it with peperoni in it and at close to 60 years ago i remember it was so good!!! Got the oil changed in Lizzie! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration