Dual U&J carbs report

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dual U&J carbs report
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

I was trying to figure out why my speedster was hard to start when hot. Which lead to lots of forum member suggestions and input. I ended up making a new intake manifold from aluminum as well as giving it a bit of a redesign to bring the carbs closer together.

I've had everything together and been driving a lot and WOW. Regardless of the starting issues, when she's running she is STRONG. Idles nice and slow, and the acceleration is ridiculous. She doesn't quite snatch your head back but you definitely sit deeper in the seat. I can accelerate with modern traffic no problem. She runs 75 easy as you please will even take some light hills without slowing much or needing to shift. Which is awesome when I'm running 2:1 final drive ratio with my 3:1 rear and Chicago OD.

Turns out my hot start problem was just due to plain old flooding. I had noticed that I could crank the car right up when cold without having to choke it, but once hot the car just refused to cooperate. On a hunch I decided to lower my float level and see if that made any difference. That was my problem. Now she requires just one pull choked and then one pull without when cold, and usually just one pull when hot, sometimes two. I also have no problems ascending even absurdly steep hills. I think having the two carbs helps since I have twice as much capacity without having to rely on feed from the tank.

One day I'll have more T's, and the stock ones will run stock intakes and carbs, but whenever I make another speedster it'll have two carbs for sure. Some is good, more is better, and too much is just right! Below is link to short video of engine running.

YFAF, Yellow Fords are Faster!

https://youtu.be/A9T5XgFkUXQ

Next two tasks are a convertible top that fits in my box when collapsed. And then some multi-lifts for my exhaust valves. I'm hoping to get the effect of a dual pattern cam since the intakes on the 4 valve Rajo are massive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

If your buddy would come through with the multi lifts as promised, you'd be in business! Still looking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

That looks awesome!
The video clip was very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Pharis on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Multi lifts are on their way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Oh, that's cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 06:04 am:

Seth, you have come a long way with that speedster over the years. I always enjoy your posts (even though I may not respond). Keep up the great work. You remind me of myself 20 years ago when I would spend all sorts of time trying different things and daring to be different....but I was doing it with Mopars back then.

Awesome work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Nice work, I was hoping meet you in Lincoln. Some day...... Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I wish I could make it to Lincoln! Or any of the big speedster events. Once I finish my engineering degree I'm going to start showing up at all of these events.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration