Bud vase

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bud vase
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Look at what I found at the antique store today. They had another that is horn shaped. I was wondering if they were used in cars.
Neal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Nice. Would love to see the bracket for this one. I normally see a small "dimple" in the glass on a flat spot that is used for a small set-screw to hold the vase into the metal bracket. There are a few vases that use unusual "clip" style brackets, but most have some obvious way of securing it into the bracket so it won't bounce out on a rough road. Here is an example of a vase with a clip style bracket.

A lot of the vases you see on ebay and in antique shops are not for use on autos. They were made to go into fancy table decorations called Eperns.

The horn shaped thing you saw is not an automobile vase. You'll find plenty on ebay advertised as such, but they were purely decorative wall-hangers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Since I couldn't find one, I made one. It's lead crystal. Here's what it looked like before I cut the bottom off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Jim Patrick sent these vase brackets to me years ago for replating. The image is a cropping of a larger picture so it's not very clear. This style would be easy to make with sheet metal and some rivets. The view is top-down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 01:59 am:

Ok, I need to ask. How did you cut the bottom off the crystal. I have some glass vases to cut the bottom off but, never having done glass work, I thought using a dremel with a cut off wheel would do. But I am afraid to screw up the glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 02:37 am:

Just don't try that with tempered glass. And some things you might find and want to cut might be tempered.
That "bud vase" looks just fine to me. What a very good friend of mine calls "finger wiggle". A reference to a magician's trick. He wiggles his little finger, pulls a thread, flips a lever, and something that is not real, magically appears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Steven, I used a tile saw. My wife uses it to cut glass bottles and glass sheets to make wind chimes. I was able to cut the vase bottom easily.
Neal

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration