Can you install non quick change bands through the inspection cover?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can you install non quick change bands through the inspection cover?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

So I removed the old transmission bands from my 26 Coupe this evening. I have a new set of Kevlars from Frank Iaccino which he riveted to a set of bands for me. I just noticed however that while the brake band is quick change, the reverse and low band are not the removable ear type! Is there a way I can get the bands in without removing the whole hogshead, or am I out of luck? Funny enough all three of the old bands pulled are quick change so if I'd sent Frank those bands instead of ones he had on hand I would have been set haha. He probably didn't have any removable ear ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Matthew: I don't think you can because the ears wont clear the drums and the rest of the traany
Bite the bullet and change over to the QUICK change bands. If you ever have to do roadside repair (BAND'S) you will be glad you did

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

No

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:09 am:

Matthew

here's my take on it...you want the quick change type...

It will be in your best interest to remove the hog's head to install ANY kind of band that has Kevlar linings. However, I believe that you will find the removable ear type to be much easier to install without distorting the band in the process.

I'd see if I could exchange the fixed ear for removable...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:21 am:

I think I'm going to try removing the linings from the non detachable and re-riveting them to the quick change; are the holes uniform enough where they should line up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:30 am:

All 1926-27 T's came with removable ear bands. Frank did the wide 1926 brake band for you, so he knows that you have a 26.
You should be able to exchange the other two fixed ear bands for the correct ones I would think.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration