Spark plug question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Spark plug question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

I just got home from a week long tour with my T and started a post tour check. The front 2 plugs look like they are running in a rich mixture with fluffy black deposits. The back 2 look normal. The engine has a distributor, Z-head, straight through NH. The plugs are gaped to .035. Any thoughts on what to look for. Thanks, Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

manifold leak on 3 and 4. due to an air leak you needed to set the carb up rich enough to fire 3 an 4 and that caused 1 and 2 to be rich.
Tighten or replace manifold gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 04:20 am:

Steve ; All model T's have the same problem,look at: [The Model T FordOwner the best of Murray Fahnesstock ] page 303-305 that tells you all.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 06:13 am:

I seem to remember some talk of those front cylinders running cooler due to the air coming in from the front. I put a sheet metal baffle in front ... secured by one of the manifold bolts and a head bolt ... and it did seem to help a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 06:14 am:

I seem to remember some talk of those front cylinders running cooler due to the air coming in from the front onto the cylinder head. I put a sheet metal baffle in front ... secured by one of the manifold bolts and a head bolt ... and it did seem to help a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Steve, I am working on a theory with no way to check-----I trashed a rotor from a dizzy from Germany----it lost continuity from the center to the end----after replacing with a NAPA rotor with solid metal from the center to the end my T fired up immediately. It was explained that the reason for resistance plugs was radio interference----if your rotor has resistance from the middle to the end can you check it with an ohm meter?
The design of the German rotor had a wire off the center down into epoxy then back up to the outer end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Paul
Do you know the part number for the napa rotor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Is the head gasket on right? If you put it in backwards, the front 2 clys will run cooler. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

As Mark Osterman was saying, The late RDRicks was always recommending the use of a thermostat to correct the issue and yes it is common/normal for one and two to be a little on the sooty side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Here's my method.

Step 1. Put in new plugs
Step 2. As long as it runs well, never look at them again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration