OT. 1966 Mustang

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT. 1966 Mustang
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Good evening. I inherited a 1966 Mustang hardtop coupe and am trying to find out information about it. Does anyone know of a good, easy to navigate, Classic Mustang forum, whose members are as helpful and knowledgeable as MTFCA members?

Thank you

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Nice I have owned two and have restored several. It looks like a 6 cylinder and they are a ton of fun to drive and parts are readily available. The AACA has a very good forum and there is often a big following of Mustangs there too. Good luck! I just restore and own Model T's now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

My oldest sister had a baby-blue 66 with the 6, automatic and an 8 track player but I do like that green. That's sweet!
Then she got a plain-Jane Duster. Ugh.
You inherited it? Cool.
Up here, we deal with salt rot.
Nice lookin' Mustang! No. Great looking mustang!
Keep us posted. I'm no real help but for OT notions, you nailed it. :-)
I should show this to my wife. She'd like your car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 02:57 am:

Hi Jim.

I too have a 66 Mustang (Convertible). I have kept it LHD and it's great fun driving around Western Australia.

I choose to get my parts from Virginia Classic Mustang and NPD (National Parts Depot) is also a great source. Having done my Apprenticeship in a Ford Dealership in the late 60's
the mechanicals and issues are second nature to me.

These are simple, modern cars in comparison to T's

Like Lang's etc, Virginia Classic also sell manuals etc for the various year Stangs. Please free to contact me on any specific issues that you have but once you get in the Mustang circle you will be surprised at the advice available to you in your state
Regards. Alan Long
Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Try these people
http://www.mustang.org/misc.php?do=form&fid=2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

6 cyl with optional dash and console. Looks like the dash has not been cut for an after market stereo (that's good!). Hopefully under the hood you still have the original air filter and that holes have not been cut to lubricate the A arms.... that's another common mod, but it isn't as apparent as interior mods. Some people convert to 8 cylinders, but the suspension isn't as beefy on the 6 so if you make that change correctly it can be pretty extensive. The last Mustang I did was a 6 cyl, and I had a but of fun with 'bolt ons'. You can't just change the intake manifold but you can get an adapter for a Weber carburetor and a dual exhaust header... I had a lot of fun with my 6 cylinder, and everything was bolt on.

You can also get an aftermarket AC system that runs an R134 compressor; I installed one with a stock evaporator, but you'd have to remove or replace your console to do that.

Have fun with it!

http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Ford-200_c9.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

My daily driver is a 1966 6 cy Mustang. There are several classic mustang forums like stangnet.com and allfordmustangs.com. Most of these cover all years with separate forums for vintage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Jim,

My recommendation is a visit to the VMF. Great group of knowledgeable folks over there. Anything from concours restoration to restomods. - Matt
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

My Cousin Tom has a '66 Mustang ragtop. It's a 289, automatic, pony interior and very rare non-power front disc brakes. It is light blue, and his father bought it new. It was professionally restored about 15 years ago and looks as it did when new. Tom was allowed to drive it to his senior prom in about 1972. Tom's son drove his grandfather's Mustang to his senior prom in about 2010. The son is not married yet. but we're hoping that his son (or daughter) will drive it to his or her senior prom in 20 years or so. You often hear that "this car is not for sale at any price". This Mustang isn't. Not a T, but a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Jim, your 66 looks a little squatty in the rear like most classics. This weekend we installed cj pony works 5 leaf spring kit on my 66. It raised my rear-end about 2 inches. Wasn't the least bit difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 01:45 am:

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. According to the file on the car, it was painted turquois in 1994. The family says that it is a "California Mustang" that was originally "Signal Flare Red" with wide black double racing stripes. I would like to get it back the way it was from the factory, so I looked up that color and I like it, so I will be going back to that. It is sort of a red with a hint of orange. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration