Some questions on a 26 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Some questions on a 26 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 09:39 am:

As mentioned I bought a 26 Roadster. I have a couple of questions. The car has a NH carburetor set up, Is this original to the car or was it a vaporizer set up. The has 21 inch tires with split rims, Is this right, Lastly I have a set of front Hasslers. Can they be mounted on the 26?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Is there a hole through the engine block and valve cover for the throttle rod to pass through. was this hole put in by someone or does it look factory (finished edge on the hole going through the valve cover) if it looks factory then your car most likely came with a NH set-up. 21 inch Split rims were standard on roadsters even in 1927 wire wheels were optional

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Others may also advise to replace the copper fuel line with steel. https://www.modeltford.com/item/2909B.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Most of the 26-27 came with vaporizers, however, the cars tend to start easier and have more power with the NH so many of us have either bought the car with the NH or converted it. There was even an aftermarket linkage made to go over the block for use with an NH. The vaporizer also had other parts such as a different manifold and the heat plate which mounts on the manifold which can cause troubles.

Anyway, it all depends on whether you want everything completely "original" or you want a good running car. Like everything else with the Model T, "it's your car".

I'm not an expert on the hastlers. I know they made them to fit the front. I also know that with some kinds of auxiliary brakes, they won't work on the back wheels.

Split rims on wood wheels is stock. Wire wheels were available at the dealer as an "extra". These days the wire wheels and hubs are desired by many owners of the Older T's and speedsters, so the price is inflated beyond that for the wood wheels. The hubs are different, so you would need both the wheels and the hubs, if you were to convert. Other optional equipment were nickel plated radiator shell and bumpers. Those too cost extra but were available from the dealer.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Unless it has the pancake rear Hasslers, I would not bother with just putting them on the front. The rear has much more bounce and sway. I only had them on the rear of mine, never saw the need to add to front, just not that much bounce to the front spring and they really, in my OP, would not do much to help with steering issues. While a vaporizer setup works when in tip top shape, I would stick with the NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 11:03 am:

As I recall, most of the early '26s were still using an NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Most 26's I've seen here in Sweden have NH:s and did have them from start (the lever on the throttle rod is down by the hole through the engine) Vaporizers weren't fitted to all of production until 1927 model year - that's August 1926 and later.

The hole through the engine was kept several months into 1927 production.

The front axle is generally the same as earlier years from 1919 on US built cars, only difference would be the slightly lower arc spring and the slightly lowered spindles. Hasslers should fit. In the rear it may be different, the drums and the spring perches are completely different from earlier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Thank you for the information everyone. The carburetor has a homemade rod that runs through the engine and is about an 1/8 of an inch short causing it to idle fast. Iv ordered a new from Langs, Hopefully this should fix that problem. Im still getting to know the car. Someone had put a cotter pin in steering rod throttle shaft making the movement loose but that will be an easy fix. I have a feeling Im not done finding short cuts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration