Any suggestions for home version garage lifts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Any suggestions for home version garage lifts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

any suggestions for home version garage lifts?

I put the T on the car hauler and was able to see the undercarriage so well it appeared so easy to get to hard to reach areas that I thought about getting a home garage lift.

Do any of you have one or suggest one or do not suggest certain ones.

I don't need a lift that bad so I don't want to put a lot out for it. I see them for $1500 to $2000. But I am concerned about being under something that is held up with hydraulic cylinders. Think they are safe? Do four posts get in the way? But the hydraulic cylinders do not take up much room in a small garage, so they appear better........

Any thought or experience would be appreciated.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

4 post lifts are great to drive right on. The corner post has stops so the lift does not fall onto you. I use mine all the time.. Buy a good one not those cheap ones for under 2k.. look at the welds and where its made.. USA China Mexico. also do you have the height in your garage to support it without crashing into the ceiling?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

You should also take into consideration the height of your garage and how high the lift with the Model T on it. It would be a waste of money if it didn't fit. If you are thin enough you can easily use a creeper and roll right under with the wheels on the ground, or put up on jack stands and roll under.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick-Ypsi, MI on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

I'm a big fan of the Backyard Buddy. I like the fact that it doesn't require bolting to the floor. You can even get a caster kit to move it around. They are really well made. I don't have one yet but I will be getting one in the next couple years.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/index.html

Patrick
Ypsi, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

I got news for ya. They're held up with cables. :-) The cables are attached to hydraulic cylinders that push and pull on the cables. But, they have manual locks too. When raised, you should allow the locks to engage then let the lift down on the locks. This will prolong cable life.

If you're looking at an asymmetric lift, you'll want to make sure your concrete meets specs for psi and thickness with reinforcement (rebar--NOT wire). And, of course, check head clearance for any lift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Thank you for your response.

I just saw a Kwik lift on YouTube. So that is now a considering. A Kwik Lift lays flat when not in use and easy to put up when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Alternatively, you could apply a different period correct solution and install a pit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 12:16 am:

I have posted several times before DO NOT BUY ANY HOIST, not certified by the hoist association. A certified hoist is a safe hoist. I might also add having been in the automotive service industry for nearly 50 years and purchased far to many hoists to even count,there is one issue of great importance, CERTIFICATION!!!!!!!!!

Remember you are the one standing under the weight of your car plus the weight of the hoist. How fast can you move when the cheappie off shore Chinese hoist comes apart and crashes to the ground, oops not fast enough, here lies a model t owner no longer enjoying his car.

Not affiliated with this company in any way, but I did tour the factory of Backyard Buddy hoists in Warren Ohio. They are certified and I watched the welding process it was 1st rate. I would stand under their hoist.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:15 am:

I love my backyard buddy. I buy then used for @ $2000 then I replace the cables. Move it around with 2 floor Jacks or 4 car dollies. Can pull it apart or set it up in 1 hour by myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Don't know if this is something to think about or not, but years ago, I started draming about the lifts that act as vehicle storage. 4 corner type lift that you could drive a car on and then drive another car underneath and store two inthe same footprint. With a leaker on top, you'd have to cover the bottom vehicle with plastic or something, but if you have the head room and you are going to do a lift anyway, why not have the option to store something underneath it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

I went to see and touch several lifts before I purchased one. I use it for the Ts, a Marmon, a Ford super duty E250 van, a Ford Mustang and now a Buick Lacrose. Considering all this, I thought the two post lift would be desirable but then I saw how the lift has to be modified with pipe like posts to ensure the arms do not lift on the running boards/splash apron. Not a safe situation for me and I quickly went to the four post. The comment earlier was that you should look at the construction carefully. Some units don't impress me. Back yard Buddy was high on my list until I saw Bend Pack. If you pay attention to some of the auto shows on TV, you probably will see a lot of Bend Pack. There is a reason for this other than advertisement. They are heavy duty and built well. All of their unis are "certified". Good luck and try to see the lift in action. Call the distributor as I did and usually a previous buyer will be glad to show the lift to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Sorry, I should have remembered it is BendPac!!!! I did a search on the Kwik Lift and one comment was the person picked it up, put it on his f250 and he and a friend installed it. I am no weakling and I have a strong 40 year old son and we used a crane type lift to assemble the BendPac. Very heavy rails to get into position on the cross bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Soon I'm going to go with a Mohawk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Male pattern baldness cures mohawks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Change of plans - thanks for your feedback, but do to space and I really do not need a lift that often, so I am going to go with the traditional motorcycle lift or similar and look for stand that hold the tire up around 20 inches or front axle about 30 inches.

It is difficult to find such animal. I'll have to modify it by placing 2 x 12's on the lift to get height.

If you have suggestions to raise the T. please share.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

I use a 8000 weight lift two post made in China the cost as I remember was about 1700. My most multi talented friend helped me install. He said it was very well made and he is a welder and machinist. You need 220 volt for the pump and every two inches or so it has mechanical lock. My shop has an eleven foot ceiling----I need all of that height for the lift with a car on it.

If I was in business with employees I would agree with Brass car guys post.

Greg Smith equipment as I recall the name in Portland has a show room with a large stock of lifts some are designed for low head room and some are slick special use lifts and some are certified.

The concrete under the posts just met the minimum requirements some shimming was necessary for the out of level floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

If you can find out when auto repair places are going out of business you can often buy their hoists, often for around 600 dollars or less. Sometimes you can get one free from the landlord after a tenant has vanished.
Where I work they got two just for removing them. I know, I removed them and reinstalled them where I now work.

I would never consider a single post hoist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

A two post hoist is almost impossible to use under a model T.
You will have way too much trouble accessing the car's frame.
You need a 4 poster drive-on for antique cars.
For modern cars a two post noisy is a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

My two post has extenders for the lift pads it will adjust to lift the frame or front and rear axel with the running boards on. A four post has its advantages but for the times I need there is a work around. friends use a four post with one low car under and one above for storage. I some times stick a platform on mine to replace lights higher then I care to be on a ladder. Works for maintenance on ATV or other equipment. or putting your project for the best height to work on----would not be with out one!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration