TWS Front wheel bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TWS Front wheel bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:22 am:

How difficult is it to remove and replace the RACES or cups in the front hub ? What should I be careful not to do ? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Try reading the Ford Service book. It also helps to tell us the year of your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:14 am:

It is a 1918 and I am replacing everything, races and bearings. Personal experiences with what went right or wrong trump the book any day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:21 am:

More pertinent than the year is the type of bearing, as Ford used both kinds concurrently. What is TWS?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:27 am:

this is how I remove the races
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/645450.html?1464199279

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Loose ball bearings or roller type bearings? How bad are they? Replacing just for the sake of replacing is not needed if the bearings are in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:41 am:

If you're handy with a welder, run a heavy bead across the face of the cup. After it cools, it will practically fall out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Ball bearing cups are very easy to remove from the hub.

If you think they are worth saving, you can use a hammer and brass drift or even a hardwood dowel to tap them out.

If you don't care about saving them, then you can use a hammer and steel drift or punch or even a long screw driver to tap them out.

Roller bearing races are a little more difficult with an earlier non-slotted hub because you don't have as much surface area to work with. You can tap them out with a hammer and long screwdriver.

In both cases - ball bearing hub or roller bearing race - you put the drift in the opposite end of the hub and tap them out from the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

TWS my initials to help me find my posts quicker.

Thanks Erik, G.R. and others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Carefull. It's easy to swell the outside of the hub if you get to much angle on the race while coming out the outside end. Next thing ya know the hub cap won't go on and the races are loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

I almost drove my wheels off this week and now I'm doing the same thing. I cannot find retailers that sale the inner front wheel race for Ball bearings. Any ideas other than changing to roller type. Also, is Stutzman still respoking wheels.
Tom, not trying to hijack your thread, hopefully we can share the experience of removing inner races, I have an hour invested and no movement.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Robert..yes Stutzmans is still re-spoking wheels.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration