"Super Brite" Incandescent Tail Light Bulbs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "Super Brite" Incandescent Tail Light Bulbs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 11:19 am:

I know tail light bulbs/brightness has been discussed ad-nauseum - LED, halogen, stock etc. But I have not found any comments on the so called Super Brite incandescent bulbs sold by Sacramento Vintage Ford. The 6 volt bulb is rated at 14/50 CP, twice what Henry provided they claim. I'm wondering what the current draw is on these bulbs compared to stock. I sent them an email asking about it, but no reply yet.

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=Wiring%20Shop&Category=Bulbs-%20 Super%20Bright

I'm going to convert a set of beat up kerosene lamps to electric and looking for the best bulb option. I imagine these bulbs run a little warmer than stock, but the kero lamps are large and have plenty of ventilation. My generator is rebuilt with a fun project voltage regulator and the electrical system is in good shape all around.

Has anyone tried these bulbs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

I went LED when I electrified my 11 touring, stop/tail light pulls 98ma. My total LED lighting system pulls about 300ma, with a 20AH 12vdc battery I should get many months of service prior to a recharge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

In 2010 while doing a complete rewiring job on my racer I changed it to 100% LED lighting and with everything on I draw 1 amp. The genny will outlast me on this earth! The headlights are nowhere's close to being ideal for nighttime driving but they're not used for that - rather used for running lights. The Non-T drums have NOS Model T reflectors with a perfect finish on them and are blinding to the eye but not good for fast driving especially at Zoom-Zoom speed!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 04:32 am:

Thanks guys. I was first considering LEDs. But after a lot of reading and research, there just doesn't seem to be anything available that will work really well in a kerosene lamp conversion. I know some people have tried them, but the results were disappointing. The small current draw is great, but I want them to be bright.

I've seen good reviews on these "Super Brite" bulbs in non-model T applications. I'm hoping someone has tried them in a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 06:27 am:

A limiting factor in kerosene lamp conversion LED options, is the need for a vertical lamp socket. Because LEDs are highly directional, they need to point towards the rear. Of all the LED candidates for a kerosene lamp conversion, the 60 LED tower bulb at the bottom of this page seems like the best option.

http://www.superbrightbulbs.com/6volt.html

But at $30 each, they are pricey. If they really do work well in this application, I'd be willing to go that route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 06:36 am:

Oops, the 60 LED bulbs are toward the top of the page, not bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Be wary of super bright tail light bulbs since you have to have a contrast between regular running bulbs and then the brake lights when applied. Assuming that is the 14/50 contrast ratio just remember that at night you will be sitting there with your foot on the brake and total lighting load more than twice what the T charging system is designed for unless the 14/50 is just hype (BS) and not really drawing typical current for that Candle power bulb. It is or should be a one time expense for a good LED tail light setup so continue shopping around and asking around. LED is the way but there are a ton of options and most of the things you will probably find will not work as advertised unless they are designed carefully.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

John - thanks, the electrical load of these super Brite bulbs is what concerns me. You confirmed my suspicians. Sacramento vintage ford never replied to my question. I'll keep looking for LED bulbs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration