TWS Front wheel bearing grease

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TWS Front wheel bearing grease
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

I read in the service book that the front hub and the hub cap should be filled with grease. Is that really necessary? Who does or does not do it??
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

That is B.S. If you want to waste a bunch of grease go ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

The Ford Manual also gives advice to clean and repack the front wheel bearings every three or four months, that few probably does today.. Thankfully the grease we have now is better - and with modern seals there's little risk for contamination by dust and water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

I agree with Larry. That hubcap full of grease isn't gonna miraculously crawl into the front bearings let alone the inner. Pack each bearing once a year & you'll be fine. Thats what I do & they run cool as a cucumber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I believe the reasoning behind packing the hubcap and the entire inside length of the hub was that it supposedly reduced oxidation and hardening of the grease. I may have read that in an period book or publication - maybe Dyke's?

As Larry said, it's not necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

The question was who does or does not? I can't tell if i have ball or roller bearings because i have never seen mine! Once a year i jack up one wheel and spin it.I see how it runs true no sound not loose,and no wobble.I remove the grease cup and give 6 pumps of the grease gun into the hubcap.I turn the crease cup on tight,turn the wheel,and wipe off any excess grease that has been forced out.I do the other side and i'm good for another year.How do you pack a ball bearing,and what did Ford do? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I clean and repack once a year, With today's grease compared to what they had back in the its not needed to do more than once a year as long as everything is able to stay clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 02:18 am:

I found a wheel like that. The grease was like more than 40 years old. But no, I don't do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 08:50 am:

I believed that the reason for packing grease in cap was if traveling and you felt you needed to grease them again. A sort of storage container. What do you think? Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 09:37 am:

T should be greased at front wheel with some grease in the hub cavity and the hub cap filled some too, just as Owners Manual states. That's what I do.

Reason if you tour a lot, run in rain, ford creeks for tour fun, and want trouble free bearings, that is what protects the bearings.....grease!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Last year post on subject, I added some photos and service manual pics on front wheel grease methods.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/683021.html?1476232423

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Not the front, but I pulled a rear end apart one time and the whole rear end was filled with grease. What a mess. I usually just pack the bearings but I see how filling it up would keep the water out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration