TT rear end question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT rear end question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

How much oil does the rear end of a TT hold? Not sure how long the oil / grease in mine has been in it so am going to drain and flush it. Then refill with Delo 85-140W. Thanks Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

From a 2014 thread, quoting the Ford TT service manual:

Here's what Ford said about lubricating the car's differential:

"What about Lubricating the Differential? Answer No. 104

Do not make the mistake of putting to much grease in the differential housing. The housing should not be more than one-third full. The differential is supplied with the required amount of lubrication when the car leaves the factory. The oil plug should be removed about every 1000 miles and more grease added if necessary. If a fluid grease is used the level should be approximately one and one-half inches below the oil hole."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Ok but how much does it take? That is what I am after. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

I can't answer your question, but assuming you are buying the oil locally, I would buy 2 quarts and see if it were enough. If not, I would go buy another quart. I seriously doubt it takes more than 3. Or you could buy 3 and maybe have to take one back....or put it on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

A TT Ruckstell takes about 2 1/2 quarts. The standard rear takes less, probably 1 1/2 to 1 3/4. With the Ruckstell, I used Sta-lube 85w 90 GL-4 from Napa which comes in a gallon jug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Thanks guys

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration