Drive shaft alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Drive shaft alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

I've installed my rebuilt rearend (no engine yet) and noticed the drive shaft is at least an inch off center towards the driver side. How do I adjust? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Upon further review. More like half an inch. Will instal of the radius rods align the shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

The rearend should installed as one complete unit. The centering of the driveshaft to either side of the rear end center can be centered by the radius rods when assembling it on the floor or on a large table.
I did it this way and it worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

Yes. The earlier style with nuts on both sides of the front threaded section allow some adjustment of the length of each rod to ensure (or screw up) the alighnment).

The later rods with a fixed flange and only one nut have no provision for adjustment unless you insert a spacing washer:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

P.S.

Be sure to install the radius rods so that the seam faces down to allow any water to drain. Also, insert the fronts of the rods into the drive shaft flange at the same time you install the driveshaft, the rods are very difficult to install once the driveshaft is bolted up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

What if the rear is already in without the rods? No engine yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Ugh. Try it and let us know how it goes. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

No go, the radius rods will not go in with the tube already in the rear axle. Only TT radius rod can go in later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Rick, in many cases the rods can be fitted with the tailshaft bolted in place. I wind the nut at the front end on as far as possible. This will allow the rod to go as far forward as possible. The rear end will then almost go over the backing plate casting. Usually a little flexing of the rod will let it go into place. Occasionally I have had to persuade one with a rubber mallet. Once in place, adjust the nuts at the front and the job is done.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

I am missing something (obviously). The radius rods were attached to the Rocky Mountain brakes when disassembled. I didn't need to remove the tube. I can still easily remove the tube at this point with the rear in the car. Does the driveshaft have to come out as well? And if so is this easily done? The car is a 26 if that makes a difference.
I have the model T service manual if anyone knows the reference to the alignment process in the book please let me know. I apologize for my ignorance, it's all new to me! If needed, I can get the rear back out. Any advantage to waiting to install again after the engine goes back in? Thanks to all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

See Paragraph 621 on page 153. If you have the later style rods with the flange like in the picture I posted above, skip step (a).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Thanks mark! Got it ! Looks like she's coming out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Use a square to align the axle tubes and the driveshaft. The radius rods should hold it in the position where it is perpendicular. If it is still out of alignment at the front, you might have a bent frame.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

It was aligned before the rebuild so the frame should be good. It's out of alignment because I didn't replace the radius arms! I was hoping I could do this without removing the rear again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Could a bent shackle effect alignment of the driveshaft? I maybe should have replaced the left side, it looked a bit bent to me and had to be somewhat forced on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 01:23 am:

Anything in the chassis that is bent can affect alignment. I had a bent spring that forced the u-joint more than an inch to the side - there was no chance to straighten that up with the engine, much too high forces on the vulnerable pan, so I had to change to a better spring.

Check all the parts and the frame for straightness, change or straighten anything bent and leave the rear spring clamps slightly loose until the engine is in place. Sometimes the same is needed for the front axle - don't tighten the front spring clamp hard until the wishbone ball is in place in the pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:53 am:

I don't know whether you have already placed the radius rods, but you don't need to disassemble the entire rear axle. Just remove the pin from the universal joint and take out the bolts holding the driveshaft tube and slide forward. Then when you put the front of the radius rods into the front holes you can push everything back and fasten the rods to the backing plate and re install the bolts into the back side of the tube to the axle. Use a square to be sure everything is perpendicular.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration