Bad hardware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bad hardware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Beware the new carriage bolt !!

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than drift off the topic on rear hub differences. Larry Smith posted there, pleading with the OP not to use "those awful carriage bolts". I concur, it's not just that a hardware-store carriage bolt looks wrong when replacing the original high-crown hub bolts on T wheels. They may be dangerous !

Here's my experience with the current generation of (probably fabricated in the orient) bolts and fasteners. Many new carriage bolts are made by spot-welding a "button" onto a bolt shank where the square shoulder has been formed. The undersides of these "buttons" show a series of concentric grooves, and too often in my experience, the weld is imperfect, and the round heads have popped off when the bolt is tightened and then put under stress.

It's not bad enough that the steel in most un-graded fasteners is much softer than anything that was made in years past, a "two-piece" carriage bolt is entirely unreliable ! Most of us geezers can't even fathom that a carriage head on a bolt would not be made as a forging . . .

Increasingly, we have to be our own quality control. Be sure the fasteners you use in critical places (like wheels) are up to the task !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Point well taken. One minor point though: carriage head bolts weren't/aren't forgings; they are cold-headed, meaning the lengths of rod are held in a die and a "punch" (actually another die) is pressed over the protruding end of the rod and forms the head. All done cold, which is why you sometimes see a slight split on the edge of a carriage bolt head.

Again, you are right; get the good Grade 5 bolts with the correct heads from Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Worth checking? A regional-area farm supplier (Fleet Farm) has bulk bolt hardware in different 'grades' and sizes. All are sold by weight. Anything I've wanted or needed along those lines has been found there, and not more than necessary amounts for what I will need. My wallet has appreciated it.
BTW, while there, their gasoline facility has the non-ethanol mid-grade (91 octane) gasoline.
Happy T-ing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Marv, Good information, however, neither Fleet Farm nor anyone else can sell non-ethanol gas in Kenosha, Racine, Milwaukee, Washington and Ozaukee Counties, in Wisconsin, where we live. To get non-ethanol gas we have to go outside of these counties.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

What can I say, Keith? Perhaps you'll consider taking one of your drive-dates 'up north'??? Ya gotta get outuv that smog and breathe some clean air once in a while... (It's good for one's health!):-)
(And, Fleet Farm is open on Sundays, too.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Wow. From carriage bolts to gasoline in just one post. Got to be a record for thread drift !

R.V., thanks for the clarification. Now I know the difference between forging and "cold headed". Main point I wished to make is that a good bolt is not made from two pieces spot welded together. I will keep a cool head when searching for good fasteners ! ;- )

Mark, you are lucky if your local farm supply has a full range of graded fasteners ! Farm or industrial suppliers are surely more likely to have better stuff !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Marv, We make it a practice to buy gas for our collector cars out of the counties mentioned above whenever possible. Of course, whenever we can, we drive our T's "Up North" where the air is clean and the gas is good.

See you on the tour in Montana? :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Don't forget too, buy the proper jamb nuts for those hub bolts too which are 11/16" across the flats.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration