Transmission Band Cover - what goop should I use on the gasket?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Transmission Band Cover - what goop should I use on the gasket?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

I believe that "goop" is an official Model T term to describe any number of form-a-gasket and sealer material that also come with varied opinions on their use.

Trying to do things right, so taking the time to ask. I've got a new gasket and have cleaned all of the various mating surfaces so that they are bare metal again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

I don't use anything on that gasket. It's too much trouble to clean things up when you need to get in there and usually means you'll need another gasket. Rub it with a little oil on your finger and assemble it. Next time you remove the cover it will be easy and you'll be able to re-use the gasket.

Mine does not leak when this method is used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Best news of the day Henry. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

I use a skim coat of grease on the metal parts and black Permatex on the gasket. The grease allows easy take-apart and reuse, the sealant allows my crappy warped mating surfaces to work together without leaking. Not a lot of run time on it yet but of all the drips on my garage floor none of them are under the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

I do the same as Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

If you use a transmission screen (and I would recommend you do) Permatex 2 the gaskets (you'll need 2) to the mating surfaces of the gaskets with screen flange and grease with the mating surfaces to the cover and hogshead. Allows you to check screen periodically and gaskets stay in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Charlie when you assemble the engine and transmission together use any good silicone gasket sealer such as the permatex brands of sealer sold at the auto parts store.
Set the transmission cover gasket or any engine gasket with sealer FIRST and let is set.
This will make sure the gaskets are in place.
Then coat the gasket and set the transmission cover gasket (felt) and any other parts such as the block or etc.
Do it this way and you won't have any leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Grease on the hogshead, Permatex on the cover, the gasket in between.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

I do it a little differently. I work a good amount of black silicone gasket material into both sides of the felt, in effect making a silicone gasket held together with felt. Then the felt is placed on the motor with 1/4" on each end along the pan. The rest is worked into place around the register on the back of the motor. The silicone holds it in place nicely. The felt pulls away cleanly whenever the hogshead is removed.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

I think Charlie is talking about that access cover - not the entire hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Gasgacinch works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

I use EZ Turn. Seems to seal up better than oil or grease. Besides, with the size tube you get from the vendors you'll have plenty to use on just about everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Great information. Thank you everyone. I want to add a couple things.

This is just the cover over the bands on the transmission. I do have the transmission screen and accompanying magnet. I'm glad that
was mentioned, because in the gasket kit I got there were 2 identical gaskets. I assumed it was just a spare. This makes more sense.

One slight issue with the second gasket - it's missing one of the holes through it. I presume this was simply a mfg error and not intentional.

I'll do my best to follow the instructions above. Should be fine. The good news is that these are some of the final steps before starting her up after nearly a year in the garage!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

What Henry said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

I use blue RTV
Only use on door side this way you can get into the trans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

If it wont seal instal second gasket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Charlie - missing hole on gasket happens sometimes. Just locate where it should be using the cover or other gasket, mark it and cut the hole in yourself. Like I said above, I use #2 Permatex to adhere the gaskets to the flange on the screen- but any of the sealants mentioned above should work as well. Chassis grease on the other side of the gasket and the steel mating surfaces of the transmission cover.

Sometimes, you get a lot more than you ask for on this place.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration