OT - Tremclad Rattle Cans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Tremclad Rattle Cans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Hi all,

In the course of painting all the little pieces that become a complete T, I've obviously wanted to spray paint a bunch of little bits. You know, hardware and whatnot. Since I was brushing Tremclad on the big stuff I picked up a matching spray can for the little stuff but I found it was only good for one use. After some angry troubleshooting and buying a second can, I swapped spray nozzles before the new one had a chance to dry and was back in business, so it seems to me the nozzle is the issue.

Now, normally when I'm done painting I spray upside down in the garbage can until the stream comes out clear in order to blow out the nozzle. In the case of new Tremclad spray, the can seems to flow just as well in any orientation so this doesn't work. Moving to plan B, I filled a small jar with cheap-o off-brand paint thinner and tossed the nozzle in there after painting. This seems to have fixed all of my problems until one day I installed the nozzle, pressed down, and it blew the spray tip out of it. The plastic must have softened after a couple months of bathing in thinner and the press-fit of the tip was no longer tight enough.

So where does that leave me? It seems the nozzle absolutely must be cleaned after every use. The can itself can't be used for cleaning because I can't seem to force it to just spray propellant. I can't keep the paint in the tip from drying by submerging it in thinner because after a while that ruins the tip.

It looks like I have a couple options but I'm not sure how I like them. One would be to gather all of my parts to paint until I have enough to use a whole can in one shot. I don't think I have that kind of time. I could maybe look online for spray nozzles in bulk but that sounds expensive. I've thought about buying one of those cans of compressed air that they use for cleaning electronics to blow the nozzle out when I'm done, or maybe rigging up some way to do that with my air compressor.

Do any of you have any tricks for this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Put the spray tip in thinner for 2 minutes not 2 months. Then blow air in it from the air compressor, should work fine then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

For nozzles that will fit, I put them on a can of spray carb cleaner and flush them clean, then put the nozzle back on the can it belongs to.
Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Just don't put the nozzle on the compressor hard against the spray nozzle. It will blow the spraying tip to who knows where. Don't ask how I know this!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 05:27 am:

I flush the spray nozzles with spray brake cleaner after use. Works for me. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 08:41 am:

I do the same as Dave above (cleaning with brakleen). Rustoleum also has a the same issue. When I am done with the cans, I save the nozzles, because every once in a while, a nozzle will get clogged during use---and I suspect from not shaking the can enough before use.

I clean the nozzles immediately after I am done spraying. I use the straw on the brakleen can to spray into the nozzle on the bottom and watch it squirt out the nozzle, just like it would be if on a can. It's not fool proof, but it has worked for me for quite a while.

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on July 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:09 am:

If I know I'll be using the can up within the month, I don't do anything but put the cap back on. When I'm ready to use it, I scratch the little blob of paint that has dried on the nozzle and the can sprays as new. This keeps the can valve wet too. This will usually work for cans stored several months also.

If you're going to clean the spray nozzle, you must also clean the can valve. You'll need a syringe or similar to flush the top of the can valve clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

If you Google search Rustoleum primer, it appears that recent formulation changes or raw materials have created an issue with paint drying in the pick up tube inside the can, not the actual nozzle tip.

Hope your situation is just the nozzle and the suggested tips work for you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration