I think the rain fried my electrial system - SOS!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I think the rain fried my electrial system - SOS!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:31 am:

The torrential down pour while decorating the T for the parade did damage but I am not sure where to start to find the fix.

At the time of the rain there were puddles in the spark plug wells, water around the starter, water on the starter post, kept wiping water off the wood coil box but I don't think any water got inside the coil box.

So I wiped up where and what I could but it still got real wet.

Trailered it home and when I drove it from the trailer to the garage 50 feet away, it sound like it was running on less than four cylinders.

Now, it only buzzes on the second cylinder when slowly cranked over. And only gets a spark when I put a screw driver to the second cylinder (second from the front of the car)

I have an E timer on the car so the coils have a capacitor or transistor wire on it?? which I can take off and put on a standard timer to test if needed. But I do not think the problem is in the timer??

Any suggestion where to start before I take everything apart?

How do you check coils without a coil tester?

Thank you in advance for your help. This is an early 20 something engine. Only modification is the E timer and starter motor / battery start or crank start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Would you consider parking it in the sunshine with the hood off for awhile?

Mother Nature apparently caused the problem, perhaps she will fix it for you while you do something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Coil box is probably wet. Pull out the coils and get everything dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:53 am:

I would say your coil box got damp, Very common if you still have wood in your coil box. Used to happen to me all the time with my TT, When I switched over to the modern coil box kit from Fun Projects it solved the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 11:03 am:

What Will said. This may be your cure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Further, if you still have wood in the box, running it while wet frequently allows arcing between the spark terminals and the edge of the metal box, which in turn causes carbon tracks. Often these are under the surface of the wood and can't be readily seen. Once these have developed, the only permanent cure is to replace the wood, and if you're going to all that trouble, it doesn't make sense not to install the FP's kit.

I have one in my '14 and the car didn't miss a beat on the Finger Lakes tour last year after Niagara Falls migrated east and let loose on us at the Monday lunch stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Thanks for your feedback. I will take off the wood box and set the coils in the sun and replace them tomorrow for another try.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Sounds like your T needs a few days in the sun. Take the hood off and remove the coils while your at it.
Yours isn't the first T that got soaked.
Just imagine what folks did back in the good old days when paved roads were few and far between and you were 30 miles from town in the middle of a downpour!
Replacing the coil box wood would be a start to improve your T if it still has wood in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

You could remove the timer wires from the coil box terminals, then use a jumper to ground each terminal of the coil box and see if each coil buzzes now. This takes the timer out of the equation. I say to remove the timer wires only as a precaution. I'm not sure if grounding them will hurt your etimer. Best to play it safe. Even if you have carbon tracking in the coil box, I would think you would still get a buzz. The spark may go to ground somewhere besides the plug, but I would think the coils would still buzz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Might have a couple wet wires shorting out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Been through the same issue twice this year. Turns out my coils got damp. I tried too much to start and run, which led to fouling a couple plugs. It took me about a week to get it completely dried out, then I replaced bad plugs and away I went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 06:58 am:

Back in the 50's I had a dilapidated '26 roadster without a hood and parked outside. The starter didn't work but it was always easy to start except when it rained. My mother would let me leave the coils in the oven for a few hours where the pilot light would dry them out. This always worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 07:50 am:

Water in the Spark Plug wells probably wont hurt anything, but it will let you know if you have a compression leak around one of the spark plugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Drying out the coils and box did help a lot but there was still something drastically wrong.

So I replaced the E timer with a spare timer and the car starts right up!

I don't know if it can be repaired but I'll ask Mark. Otherwise it's fried! Thank you for your help.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Robert, getting the coil box wood wet is definitely not good as others have mentioned. You can send the E-Timer back for full electrical and functional test, I'll send you a PM with the address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Thank you very much Mike.

You were on my list to contact. I apologize for referring to you as Mark!

Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration