Gem tumbler for cleaning small parts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gem tumbler for cleaning small parts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

1 Has anyone here tried it?
2 Will it work on recessed areas, like the slots of castle nuts?
3 Is there a model available that is reliable and not terribly expensive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

I havnt tried it but I think I will try it on my brass contacts for a coil box I am rebuilding. Works great on rifle brass. I will try some bolts and nuts also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Here's an approach that might appeal to mister thrifty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgVv9bZrCc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Another take on the same theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8S30EOZfw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

I'd think an Ultrasonic might be a better ides Steve. Harbor Freight has them . Or you can shop the gun parts places like Brownell's or Midway USA. Then see what Amazon has. Sometimes they have them used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 01:04 am:

Just remember that rock/gem tumblers are designed to take off all the roughness and polish all surfaces. I.E take off all the clean sharp edges such as on nuts and bolts and leave smooth rounded surfaces. IS THAT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:23 am:

I throw nuts and bolts and a few handfuls of sand into a cookie tin and tape the lid on for security, then I bungee the can to the rear wheel of my little tractor and go out and mow. Sometimes the crusty stuff needs a second ride, but it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Marc, I like that Idea. I have seen a gas tank with inner tube around it in the dryer to clean it but my wife would not let that happen... I think I could get away with the mower trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

I have done it. I purchase, a jug, of some type of plastic triangular things for rust removal. I used ot on small parts. If you have alot of time it works, I think I had ot running for 2 or 3 weeks, before I got tired of waiting, for the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

The more you have to mow the better each session will work. The area I do takes about two hours. I use pretty aggressive blast media but the metal finish comes out fine because of the slow impact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Steve, I used my RCBS tumbler on some rusty wood screws. I used walnut shells for media. Took rust off and made shiney. Dark spots where rust was. Did not remove paint. I will try sand next. Took about 3hrs. The brass came out like new. The media had to be scraped out of slot in screw head but it came out easy. Will post some photos when I get home from work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:25 am:

Steve I got a drum tumbler from HF years ago. Does small stuff well. Cheap and the belts are available from them. Gary https://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration