Charged with success

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Charged with success
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

I have generator that charges now. Thanks to Jim Sims for giving me the courage to do it. I installed the brush plate insulator from Langs. I had the armature tested and turned at an Amish shop for $12. He also had the new bearings I needed. Some tips from Andy Loso and Jim and it went smooth. Langs back ordered my 3rd brush wrench so I just finished making one. I am waiting for it to cool and I will try it out and tighten the 3rd brush nut. 10 amp output is set. Now we can take those evening drives and I can drive it for breakfast on the weekends. I think that my roadster got jealous of the 23 TT . I started rebuilding this generator a couple weeks ago and a day later the roadster stopped charging! I can now rebuild another one. I installed the carb on the TT and while I was working on it I heard drip----drip----drip. The roadster had developed a gas leak. It was dripping on the cardboard P-pad on the floor. A cracked fuel line .Jealous I tell you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Copper fuel line?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Yes. I ordered steel line today. I had 3/4 tank of fuel. That was fun. I did dump it back in one gallon at a time and marked my fuel stick. Now I know for sure haw much I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Don't send for fuel line. Go to any auto parts store and get quarter inch steel brake line. Bends easy by hand and will last your life time. Also it is very inexpensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

Dallas if you can below, 8 amps would be easier on your generator just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

I agree with John, get that 10 amp charge rate down to 6-7 amps. That should keep your battery charged, unless you drive with the lights on all the time, and make it a whole lot easier on that poor old Model T Generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Steven, I am getting it at my cousins auto parts store. He didnt have what I needed. I do drive at night a lot but I can back charging rate down. I was just going with what ford service said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Check your battery water level frequently, with the higher charging rate you risk boiling the water out at an accelerated rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Good deal, I knew you could do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Dallas, You might want to think of investing in a Fun Projects voltage regulator for your charging system. My generator is set in the 10 amp range with the Fun Projects regulator and I don't worry about over-charging and have plenty of output to push the lights for a long drive in the dark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Dallas

Note that Kevin's advice is correct with a voltage REGULATOR,the other's advice of lower amperage is for you with a cutout...there is a difference. That's why you're seeing differing amperage advice...each poster is correct, but each is referring to different devices on their generator...I'd advise you to do what Kevin suggested: purchase a voltage regulator from Fun Projects

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration