Hogshad repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hogshad repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Has anyone had any luck making a repair to a broken tab on a hogs head? I was considering brazing the tab back onto the hogshead. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Scrap metal, not worth the time and trouble.
If you were near me ( Northern Cal) I would give you one ( or more).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Mike,

I agree with Layden. A braze or weld will never be as strong as the original casting. While the joint may be strong (or not), the surrounding cast will yield quicker than when it was new.

Sorry, Just what I know.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Ralph Zaijcek repaired a broken tab with a complete new one of brass. It looked good and worked well. Yes it can be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Thanks for the help, I'll find a different one. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Looks like your hog's been had :-)

I'd say that your best bet is to replace the hogshead with another. They are a dime a dozen and very easy to come by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I have some, if you can't find one closer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

An aluminium hogshead would be worth the trouble to repair, not yet a LH drive cast iron one - still easy to find cheap. But don't throw it away, parts from it may come in handy some day :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 12:53 am:

I have repaired a similar one, several years ago. However, it is definitely better to get a better one. Still. Behind the garage is where parts like this belong, until they are needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 10:55 am:

That location is behind the starter and won't show when assembled. I have had good luck by making a large washer which will cover the area and bending a tab down to hold the broken piece in place and putting a bolt with nut in place. Use plenty of gasket sealer and tighten down. Has lasted over 15 years without leaking. It doesn't show even from underneath.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I did something similar to one of my transmission covers a few years ago. Wonder what a transmission cover would cost to make these days if the originals weren't so plentiful ! I replaced it with one I picked up at a meet. I now have 7!
I still have the ones that have the ear broken off at that location for spares. I just couldn't throw them away.

Maybe the transmission covers were reproduced as long as the blocks were till the early 40's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration