Rear Axle Inner Seals: HOW DO YOU REMOVE THEM???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Axle Inner Seals: HOW DO YOU REMOVE THEM???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Left rear Hyatt bearing & sleeve has been replaced once a year for the past 3 years. Getting tired of using up NOS Hyatt parts...

The housing does not appear to be bent.

It looks like the inner seal is shot and letting rear end lube wash out the bearing grease. The QUESTION: How do you remove that seal? I can't tell what style is in there. Dad probably replaced it 40 years ago. The disc that I can see at the bottom fits closely to the axle tube I.D. and closely to the axle shaft. Can't sneak anything past to hook it. Tried a high power magnet with no luck. Thinking of drilling a hole/s in it but so far, I don't have a long enough drill bit and I don't know how hard the washer is. So folks... what have you done to remove this darn thing???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Something is wrong. The bearing should function well if it's oiled with rear axle oil, say 85-140 or similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Maybe so Ted, but I would still like to get the seal out of there and replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Pull everything out(bearing and sleeve) and reach in with a bent heavy wire and pull the seal out. Short of pulling the rear end down that is about the only way to pull it out.
If it's the felt type just push in out of way and add new seals.
Unless you have a Ruckstell, 600w should provide plenty of lube for the bearings as that is what the inside one gets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

As I mention Mark, there is almost no clearance to get any kind of a hook behind the washer.

I'm thinking that pulling off the housing may be the only way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

O.K., I got it out.

Sometimes walking away and coming back later is the best method of all. It was the old style seal, made of leather, with several spring steel fingers pushing in on the leather to hold it tight to the shaft. Once I realized this, I was able to force my hook tool under the leather part and pull it out.

Very worn out and in need of replacing.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Better remove the RH side one as well and replace both of them with the modern neoprene seal - those spring-backed leather seals have a reputation for scoring the axle shaft, giving cracks a place to start.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/752698.html?1494451613

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Mark,

I agree. A new set of neoprene style seals are on order as I write this.

Luckily, worn as it was, there was no damage to the axle shaft.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration