What is this brass steering wheel off of?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is this brass steering wheel off of?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

It is the roughly the same size as a T wheel except the center steering shaft opening is larger. There is no apparent taper to it. There is also a small M stamped into the brass near the steering shaft opening. What is it from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Lucius on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

How about some dimensions, rim diameter, bore size, and key way size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

I have a very similar brass spider that has a 7/8" straight bore, is 1-7/8" long, with a 1/4" keyway on my early Cadillac. One arm on the spider looks torn or partially broken, is it? Let me know your dimensions.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

That is a style that was very common on cars from about 1905 until 1910. After that, most cars went to either aluminum or steel spiders. Nice wheel! The "M" is likely a makers mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

I will post demensions tonight! Thank you for the replies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Looks like may be a Maxwell. I need one Thanks 702 353 4436

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 01:38 am:

My 1912 Maxwell is solid brass over where the shaft mounts. It also does not have individual mounts under the wood wheel. I've seen a 1910 that has the mounts under the wood wheel. It also had the solid center over steering shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 02:25 am:

We've determined that it doesn't seem to be maxwell. I couldn't get to measuring tonight. I will asap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Looks identical to my 1917 Maxwell EXCEPT mine is cast in steel. Maybe the earlier Maxwell's used the same mold but were cast in brass?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Just a guess, 1910 Hudson Model 20?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:31 am:

It is 15 inches OD. The hole is barely under an inch in diameter and the keyway is 3/16ths

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Looks like IHC Auto Buggy or Auto Buggy to me.

My dad's 1910 IHC Model F roadster (not a high wheeler) has a similar steering wheel to the Auto Buggy and Auto Wagon but I believe it is a larger diameter than the high wheelers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

15" is the diameter of the steering wheel I posted above from my dad's 1910 IHC roadster.

The depth of the shaft bore is 1.5". The outside "collar" does have a taper.

Also, it is a single piece of wood as are the high wheelers.

Yours is two different pieces of wood - inner and outer - so I would say it is not IHC although it looks very close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Erik, you may be correct. The IHC looks like it has more dish to it and a little curve. I have a spider I am looking for a car to fit. It isn't '09 Buick as the hub on those is recessed for the column. The majority of brass cars used a brass spider at some time so it may be hard to identify. This is a good place for folks to see it.
Rich

(Message edited by rich eagle on July 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Actually it looks like mine...

I prefer the mahogany look though

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration