After a year - it started! Now for the next set of concerns.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: After a year - it started! Now for the next set of concerns.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

After lots of valuable advice on this forum, I finally got things put back together. The car turned over but didn't start. Frustrated, but then remembered that while doing the work, I'd shut off the fuel valve at the tank. Opened it, hit the starter and voila! Started right up.

Now what? A few new issues for me to take into consideration:

Antifreeze - I put the 50/50 stuff in. A little less than 2 full containers (are they gallons?). I don't know how much to put in. Some have said to just cover the fins on the inside. Can anyone confirm?

Oil - I suspect I'm going to begin finding out where the inevitable leaks are.

Bands - all seems good, but the low gear that works, but only when the pedal is pushed hard to the floor. It's as tight as it can go. I suspect band change is in my near future.

Pumped up tires to about 60 psi. I read a little bit on this, but was left not being able to sort out the actual size of the tires. There seems to be a whole series of numbers stamped into the sidewall.

Driving the car from my garage to my house (about a mile), when I hit bumpy parts of the road, the car seems pretty "swishy" in the back end.

Throttle / speed - I don't think I'll ever advance the throttle beyond the first 3 notches or so. The car already seems to go too fast at very low throttle. Does this sound correct, or would you think that something been done in the extensive modifications that were made before me to make this a higher speed driver? I'm not too confident with the "swishy" suspension to go too fast.

Last - I'm prepared to re-torque / check the torque on the head. It'a Z head which the average opinion on this forum is to torque to 45 ft. lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Charlie,
Is it the T in your profile?
Then your tire pressure is to high, you have 27 wire wheels so 30psi is plenty.
If you re-tention the Z head, do it with a cold engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Charlie

please post a picture of one of your wheels. I can't tell if they are "T" wires or 1929 "A" wires mounted on adapters. If they are "A" wheels then the "swish-iness" will probably get worse with passengers in the back. The "A" wheels, if in fact that's what those are, are not supported by the brake drums like on an "A" and they will really flex. I once drove a '26 set up thusly and will never again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Photos of my wheels - all 4 just to be thorough, but I think they are all the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Model T wheels. Frank is correct. 30 psi is good. 60 psi is for clinchers, which you don't have.

Antifreeze: 50/50 is fine. Enough to cover the tubes or baffles. You can overfill and the car will barf out what it doesn't need.

Low pedal: "...as tight as it can go." Does that mean you've used up all the adjustment, or that the pedal is to the floor? If the latter, I expect you can adjust the pedal up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Thank you Charlie

scratch that theory...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration