Help with bent brass w/s stanshions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help with bent brass w/s stanshions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

I found these today they are cast brass and the car must have
Rolled over I am not even sure they are T .
I am guessing they would have to be heated to some extent
Or they will snap like a twig. I thought they would be neat
For a future speedster project.

Thanks for any help
JimW/s stanshions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Jim
The general rule for bending ANY copper alloy (which brass/bronze are) is as follows;
Heat it to a dull red and then immediately QUENCH it in water. I realize this is the exact opposite of what you would do with steel.
Then cold bend it. If it starts to stiffen up after some bending, then repeat the above annealing process
Best of luck
They look nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Thanks Les are these actually model T if so what year span.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

No, not T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration