Triple gear bushing lose

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Triple gear bushing lose
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Triple gear bushing is not an interference fit. It's not lose in the hole, but I can press it out with my thumb. Is there a reason that this would be a problem? I know that it will wear the gear and someday the gear will have to be replaced but I'm betting that's a long time away. Any ideas and suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Bob
Lok-Tite it in place. Further to this, I have usually found that the bushings are usually OK and can be reused. The pins are usually worn and need replacement.
Just my experience

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

But the flange of the bushing tends to wear faster than the inner diameter, so check that you have the flange protruding slightly over the gear towards the flywheel - with the bushing loose, you can shim it and grind it to be within the correct tolerance after loctiting it in place.

It's great to be able to keep the original Ford bushings - modern replacement materials needs the double tolerance than Ford used for some still unknown reason (ok, there are theories, but none yet universally accepted )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Be sure to use the proper primer on the bushing so that the retainer cures properly and bonds to it's full strength. This would not be necessary if both parts were ferrous material, but in this instance they are not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Scott
Great info
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Your welcome Les. Now to be fair and accurate, the manufacturer considers the use of primer for this type of assembly to be optional, but in practice, my opinion is that for this particular assembly, it is a prudent step.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Wouldn't this be the place for sleeve lock type Loctite?
I don't know if I still have it but I came across a triple gear that someone had used shim stock to hold the bushing in.
One other thing you might want to check, face of triple gear to flywheel clearance. While the bushing is out you could add shim stock behind the end to give more if needed. Might check the other while you are at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 12:26 am:

If you mean retaining compound 620 loctite, then yes. It is high strength, high heat resistance, and made for cylindrical assemblies. This version is low viscosity for very small gaps such as the slip-fit described by OP. This compound is made in more viscous forms (different P/N) for larger gaps between the two parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I once knurled the o.d. Of a loose triple gear bushing. It worked ok for several years but eventually loosened and required replacement.

I have had a (not the knurled one) triple gear bushing seize on its pin and then run loose in the gear for a long period (found whilst working on the engine for some other problem). The gear wasn't worn, but the o.d. Of the soft bushing sure was!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Sweaged a 3/8 x 3/8 socket through a new bushing and came up with a very strong interference fit. Once in the gear, reamed it to a .0035 clearance using an adjustable reamer. Put it in a lathe and faced it to .0010. The second was ok, but the thrust on the third required a shim and faced off .003 to get to .0010. The new bushing had a totally different machining characteristic than the old brass, hope it holds up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration