Steering column jacket color 1927

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering column jacket color 1927
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I asked this question on someone else's thread, but don't remember what thread. The original steering column in my green '27 touring car was quite rusty - I think the color was black. I just received a better column from someone on this forum and the jacket is green. My guess is that the columns were originally painted black because it would have simplified production, but I'm not 100% positive of this. Does anyone know for sure whether the columns were black or body color?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

John C, I can give you a bump back too the top. But I cannot with any authority answer your question. I have never had an improved era Ford, and am not an expert on their details. I know that several details of those cars are still open to debate. Empirical evidence does not entirely agree with records of changes for some things, like the color of the dash. I don't know of any discussions about the steering column.
Personally, I have never noticed any '26/'27 steering columns with apparent original paint in anything but black. But I wouldn't consider that anywhere near the final word.
I did see a very original 1909 steering column in its original red. But that doesn't help you much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

I have had 2 original '26 coupes and one original '27 chassis that came from a 2-dr model and they were all black. So can say about any open cars. I have seen many '26/'27 open cars at meets etc. and they were all black. Four of my A's had black columns and they were all closed cars also. Not to say it can't be so, just have not seen any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Have a '26 Touring and '26 Tudor. The Tudor was unmolested. The steering column is black. Can't tell you if it was semi-gloss or gloss that has now faded some. From what I have seen under the dash on some of the unexposed parts it was probably semi-gloss black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Thanks, Black it will be.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration