14 or 15 Sold in Detroit area. Info?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 14 or 15 Sold in Detroit area. Info?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

There was a 13 or 14 roadster selling at an estate sale this weekend asking, I think, $9,500 and selling for $8,500. I only saw pics but it looked like it should have gone for more than that. Anyone know anything about it? Just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Ask me Marty. I know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Wow..wish I'd have known about that one! It'd be following me home today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 03:45 am:

It's a '15. Old restoration and not run for many years. Still, it was owned by an excellent mechanic/machinist. Very presentable car. It eventually sold to a fellow who has been a very good friend to the owner, now 86 and in failing health. I was happy to see it go to a good friend of his. The price was not lowered due to the friendship. The new owner purchased it at the estate sale, just as I or anyone else could have.

The old owner's name is Gene Kristoffy. He was THE go-to guy for reproduction pre-Model T transmissions. In the 60's, (I believe), he made a complete 1905 Model B engine, from scratch, including the carburetor. At his sale I bought 2 cut-away chunks of a Model B cylinder head that he sectioned to reveal the cooling jacket, so that patterns could be made for the new ones. No, he didn't wreck a super rare part, it was hopelessly freeze cracked. Still, I now have a part of a part of a Model B! (And a neat object to remember Gene by) He's a really neat guy, still full of piss & vinegar. He's a hoot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Mr. Kristoffy is a treasure ! This man was in the auto industry his entire life, working for all the big companies at one time or another. He knew and was friendly with Mr. Holley, even discussing the construction of the carb used on the model B. It is unlikely any surviving good running alphabet lettered ford , particularly the very early ones, did not have his hands on their transmissions. The very early ones, before the N, were not very robust, mostly due to bad metallurgy. I'm being too kind, they were junk and a weak point in great cars. I'm lucky enough to have had him rebuild my model F transmission, and it's as smooth as silk, and better than it ever was new. I think it is likely the last one he did, over a span of 60 years. Jerry knows him well, and there are not many left like him. If you have a chance to visit and listen to his stories, it's well worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 04:27 am:

What a wonderful tribute to a well respected older man.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration