What do you guys use

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What do you guys use
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Im going to change the rear end lube in my 26, What do you guys use to suck out the old stuff? Also,What kind of grease fitting is this and is there a grease gun or adapter available for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Will,

That's an Alemite fitting. I don't know that it is original to the car, but if you want to use it, Restoration Supply Company sells an adaptor for your modern grease gun. As an alternative, the Alemite should just thread out easily (1/8" or 1/4" pipe thread) and you could replace it with whatever type of grease fitting that you desire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

That grease fitting has been covered on the forum. However I couldn't find the post. I did find this https://saeproducts.com/pin-type-grease-fittings.html There probably is a gun to fit this somewhere as the fitting is listed. Now that you know what is is a search on the internet for pin type grease gun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

I used the brake bleeder attachment on my Mityvac - I had to fill and dump the bleeder bottle around ten times. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

If its not original to the car then I may just replace them with cups. They are on the rear end also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

The grease fitting looks like an Alemite twist 'n lock. Here is a picture of a grease gun that fits it:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/175458.html?1292339423

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

With the exception of Model Ts, by the late teens and well into the 1930s many if not a majority of U.S. manufactured automobiles were equipped with Alemite grease fittings from the factory b including Model As and Ford V8s.

Alemite grease guns are not hard to find, at least in my neck of the woods. I regularly see them at estate sales and swap meets and in antique shops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

An oil suction gun is the least costly oil remover. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-2359-Oil-Suction-Gun/dp/B00FJT0304

The Alemite twist lock fitting dates from later than the Model T era. A grease cup would be correct. You can also tap the inside of a grease cup and hide a zerk in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Mark, I used your idea using my vacuum brake bleeder, It worked great, Now to clean the lines back up! Steve, Im going to tap some grease cup like you mentioned. Thanks everybody.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

The flange in that picture is rotated 90 degrees from it proper position- its on the side rather than the top correct? with it that way the fitting does not line up with the hole in the torque tube ball and no grease will get to the u joint unless someone drilled an extra hole in the ball to pass grease into the u joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Dan is right - it should be easy enough to remove the bolts and rotate the ball cover so that the fitting faces up. Remember, the two top bolts should have castle nuts with cotter pins, and the two lower bolts should have their heads safety wired to each other.

It looks like the fitting has been clocked to the side for a long time, I suppose it's possible (but unlikely) that there is enough clearance between the ball and cover to allow some grease to work its way over to the U-joint hole.

Here is one case where you hope that enough engine/transmission oil is leaking back far enough to keep the U-joint lubricated! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

I noticed that also, I will be turning to its right place very soon. It kinda makes me wonder if the U joint and driveshaft bushing ever got and grease. I will know more when I take it apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:21 am:

This is what I use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Drain out the old oil AFTER you get the rear end out. No big deal. I was going to post a point on the location of the grease fitting, but Dan beat me to it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration