Anyone make metal strip for attaching rear of top to body - 1917?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Anyone make metal strip for attaching rear of top to body - 1917?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

I was at the Iola Car Show this weekend, and saw a 1917 Model T touring car that had the original metal strip for attaching the top to the back of the body. It covers the bead underneath, and was attached with flat head screws. Does anyone reproduce this, or is there anything that looks similar enough that could be modified to work? Also, what years used this type of attachment? Thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

No one is reproducing those that I know of. You have to find them at a swap meet or ebay. I guess you could make something similar, if you have the metal-shaping equipment to form the concave shape.

I don't know about the years. 15's had them, but they may have started earlier. They were used until about 1920 or 21, I think. The ones for Runabouts are shorter than the ones for Touring Cars.

(Message edited by coupelet on July 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

They are attached with oval head screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

They were used on open cars from 1915-1920. It began right after the rear roll-up curtain was discontinued as a cover for the tacks and a reinforcement for the edge of the curtain. First drawn in December of 1914. Screws are #8 x 3/4 blued steel slotted oval head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Hello David,
I have an exceptionally nice original one available. You can send me a PM if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Thank you for the responses so far. I should have seen that they were oval head screws! My father and I have been collecting Model T's since 1961, and I have never encountered this part before, so I assume an original it is very difficult to find. Any suggestions for a way to make this, or something close? I would like to add it to my 1918 touring car.

Thanks

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vance Naumann on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

This post might help.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/430324.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Vance, Thanks for the great photos and what looks like a very viable way to fabricate one. I'm getting an original from Larry, so I think my problem is solved. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration