How to Adjust Transmission Bands on your Ford Model T :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to Adjust Transmission Bands on your Ford Model T :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

In this video, I show you in how to correctly adjust the transmission bands on your Ford Model T...

Enjoy :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAnyYOvHxc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

A couple of observations: Your band is quite tight. The ends are almost touching, if not touching. This will be the last adjustment until you need to reline the band. I would have left the overlap of the ends a little shorter so that it could be compressed farther before they touch.

Also you should discuss the distance above the floor board when the pedal is depressed. It should be between 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch or whatever that measurement would be in Australian. I think you use metric there?

Overall, the video is very good with the above suggestions for improvement.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:03 am:

Thanks for that Norman... The linings you see were actually slightly too long for my bands - I have no idea why, but that's how they came - and they've always stuck out at the ends of the bands. My linings are still pretty thick, as they were only replaced about two years ago, and the car is only occasionally driven. Yes we use metric here. Thanks for the suggestions :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Band linings should be long enough to extend for about 1 cm (3/8") past the end of the band and still have a bulge that you press down after the end rivets are installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Mitch Steve's photo shows the linings in their correct position. When fitting them to the bands, the two ends are riveted first. Then the loop in his photo is worked down against the band. That way, the lining is hard against the band. If you start at one end and work your way around riveting as you go, there will be excess material at the end, and the material will not be hard against the band.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Hi Allan, thanks for that -- thinking back, I did actually do that with my bands :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration