Noisy high gear.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Noisy high gear.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

While driving my T in high gear, I get a extremly bad grinding noise and much vibration. I have just rebuilt the rear end with nice gears and set the lash at about 20 thousands. This is much louder than the normal noisy rear end. Any idea if some problem with the transmission could cause this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

The only way to know for sure if it's the transmission is to slide the rear axle back out and run the engine without the rear axle connected.

If it's quiet, then the rear axle is at fault. A lot of rear axle noises transmit themselves forward so that they sound like they're coming from the transmission.

Good luck with your diagnosis, hope it's something simple and cheaply fixed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Jim, if you used good gears from different sources, they will take a little time to get to know one another and settle in. Also setting backlash is not the whole answer to meshing the gears. They need to be meshed to get the correct contact pattern. Otherwise they will be noisy until they run in, and they will wear prematurely.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Jim, I bet it wont be as quiet as that little 25 coupe you let me drive. If you bring it to my place and let me drive it for a while I bet I would have fun! Probably wouldnt get the noise figured out tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

How does it sound in low gear and reverse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 04:03 am:

Jim,

It's not your transmission. When you're in high you're not using your transmission at all.

What did you use for a pinion bearing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 08:02 am:

What Jerry said. High is direct drive. No transmission gears are turning. If you hear gears grinding in high, the sound is coming up the drive shaft tube from behind you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 08:03 am:

I have determined that the noise is from the rear end. Will pull the rear and see what is wrong after I get over being mad at it. This is what happens when I try to be careful and use all perfect parts. Should have used junk worn out parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:08 am:

When you put together the rear axle, try turning the U joint. It should turn smoothly not feel rough. Sometimes if you are using used gears, the wear pattern will leave an edge which is not worn even with the other gear surfaces. That might be your problem. Sometimes it can be helped by altering the gear clearances. Try some prussian blue on the gears and you will immediately see the contact areas.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Jim,You also said vibration so i wonder about your 4'th main? Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration