Speedster convertible top material

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedster convertible top material
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

I love my speedster but she needs a top. Both for when it's blistering hot and for when it rains on me. I'll still leave her topless 90% of the time. I read an awesome article on making a nice convertible top that is easy to disassemble, the top and frame will either fit in my box or maybe strapped under my gas tank. I'm basically copying the idea of the article linked below.

http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/speedster_top.htm

Where can I get some convertible top material? The material that the author mentions, Sta-proof, either no longer exists or I am a terrible googler. Only difference is mine will be black inside and out, and I'm either going to do an octogon rear window or a square one. Also going to use brass common sense fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

http://www.haartz.com/exteriors/cloth-topping

http://www.haartz.com/keep-it-originalkeep-it-haartz

You could also find out what is used when restoring 1930s Ford V8 phaetons, convertible sedans and convertible coupes. They also use a light tan, cloth convertible material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 04:11 am:

Well, I know it isn't authentic correct material. But unless you want to pay dearly for it, I don't know if truly correct material is really available. I have used a product called "Sunbrella" on several cars. It looks and feels very much like a light weight canvas, and comes in many horrible colors and stripes. But also black and a few off whites and tans. It is basically water-proof, mildew-proof, will never shrink, and almost will never fade. It is made for outdoor awnings and umbrellas, and seems to be really tough. I sew it on a common home sewing machine.
It is a bit pricey, but for the amount needed for a speedster upholstery or top? Even a cheapskate like me considers it well worth the price. And for whatever it is worth? I have had several people over the years ask me what it was because they liked it.
It is often used for boats. So that is often the best place to find a small amount locally. When I lived in Livermore, there was a supply company that sold the stuff by the foot. Since I left there, it has been more difficult to find. There are many places online that sell it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Check with a boat upholstery shop. The boaters around here are switching to a material that is like a heavy duty umbrella material in tan for their tops and covers. Don

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration