Rear end question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear end question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pablo Santos on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

I am redoing the brakes on my 26 Tudor with a ruckstell, and I decided to pull the bearings out to clean them and reseal everything, but when I was looking into the axle tube once the bearing was out I noticed that the side that the ruckstell is on has a bigger hole or more clearance in the axle tube to allow more oil to get to the wheel bearing than the passenger side does. In other words with the wheel bearing removed the axle will move around a lot more in the tube on the ruckstell side than the passenger side. Is this normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

Oil from the pumpkin should reach the inner bearings, but not the wheel bearings. They should get only grease. That's why seals are installed. A lot of people also install the big felt washers to help keep oil away from the wheel bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Pablo, with a Ruckstell, the left axle has no long T roller bearing on the inside, so it is free to move up and down much more within the housing.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration