Brake lever and sidelight brackets plating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brake lever and sidelight brackets plating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:53 am:

looking for help in determining the dates that the brake lever and sidelight brackets changed from brass plate to painted. judging standards say 1911 cars have them plated but i'm not so sure. thanks for your help. am sending some parts to the plater and want to be sure i have them all. cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:06 am:

It depends on when in 1911 it was built - the change was noted Feb. 23, but after that it would have been some time until it was implemented in production and all parts were used up.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc11.htm

"FEB 23 Acc. 575, Ford Archives
Brake lever and foot pedal plates specified to be black-painted steel instead of brass-plated and polished. The hand brake lever was also changed from brass-plated to black painted. T-1603 dash lamp bracket changed from brass to blued steel."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

i have a feb build date ..... for the life of me i looked in the ency and somehow missed the paragraph you quoted. side lamp brackets maybe changed in the same time frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 06:38 am:

well, i got the pieces stripped of paint and found traces of the orig copper and brass plating. so now i can send off to the plater with some assurances of being correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 09:41 am:

What irritates me, the judging guidelines refer to the hand brake as an emergency brake, which it is not. Lets call it what it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Well, Larry, you're right for most of the years, but in 1926/27 the hand brake was improved enough to be used as an emergency brake - see the 1927 Ford Manual:

kop

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration