'26 Wire wheel "wobble"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '26 Wire wheel "wobble"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:06 am:

While driving my fenderless speedster I noticed a slight, but annoying wobble on one of my wire wheels. I checked the lug nuts and confirmed they are not too tight and didn't notice any bent spokes. Anyone have any successful method of getting them true?
Thanks for the feedback!
Mike in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gillette on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:24 am:

On your browser, type in Do_it_Yourself_Wheel_Straightening.revised.12.4.09.web.pdf

I used these techniques successfully on A wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Thanks John, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:06 am:

The date is a little different than what is mentioned above but here is a link:

http://www.durableperformance.net/Do_it_Yourself_Wheel_Straightening.5.19.10.web .pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Mike, the spokes may look straight to the human eye, but usually it takes more than one bent spoke on a T wire to cause a wobble. If you have an old spindle that you can clamp securely in a vise, put the wire wheel hub and wheel on and spin. This is made easier if you can fasten something securely that almost touches the rim. Check and see if you have any difference in clearance as the wheel is spun around slowly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Mike, before you go at the wheel, check to see that the tyre itself is not the culprit. One a front wheel, jack the car, place a heavy block on the ground and hand spin the wheel. This will give you the run out. Check that the rim is running out, not just the tyre.

hope this saves some headaches.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 08:05 am:

Thanks guys, I'll sure consider all the suggestions offered here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 03:30 am:

Also look for a bent or cracked hub flange. It happens!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Hartling on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:04 am:

I have a 27 Coupe/ Have went through complete car. I have one wheel (Wire) that is not true. Getting mixed info. I have been told need to get another as can not be made true. I would like to either send out to be fixed or buy another wheel/ Also info to change the tire. Would like to send wheel with tire out to resolve issue. After two years just tired ! Live in Indianapolis but will ship anywhere. If someone has a rim out there I'm a buyer. / Bear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Jeffrey,

How bent is it? A little wobble is not uncommon. Unless it's a lot, like maybe over 3/8", it's not a problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration