Whitefish mileage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Whitefish mileage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Does anyone know the daily driving mileage for next week's Whitefish MT tour? Day by day. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 11:35 am:

My understanding is that it is as much or little as you'd like to do.

Monday: Eureka, Stonehenge Aircraft Museum, Lundeen Machinery Museum, etc.
Tuesday: Glacier Park by the Going to the Sun Road and back by US 2.
Wednesday: Back to Glacier, Red Bus Tours, etc, or tour to Polebridge, Summit Dinner.
Thursday: “Round the Lake” Tour, Polson, Museum of America, etc.
Friday: Local Tour, Creston, Bigfork, Somers, Classic Car (Ford V-8) Museum, etc.

Hop on Google maps, punch in the destinations and total up the mileage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Sunday about 40 miles depending where your staying. Car Show in Whitefish

Monday tour 125 miles plus optionals of 29 or 18 more mikes

Tuesday 201 miles

Wednesday 52 miles

Thursday 155 miles

Friday 111miles

Appears a heat wave hits that week temps in high 90's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Thanks Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

I'm not too concerned about the mileage but about average speed of the tour. 30mph would be fine for me in my 11 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Philip,

I'll be interested to find out about that as well. I'm sincerely hoping that like on prior MTFCA Nationals I've attended they provide detailed maps and/or directions and let you know when the trouble truck will be leaving so you can be certain to be in front of it. This provides the opportunity to travel on your own or with others who like the same pace. Some folks prefer a rather relaxed pace but many can get frustrated by it if their car is really happier at 35 to even 45. To each is own for pace is really a nice solution. I'm driving my pretty stock (Z head and OF carb) '26 coupe but I'd hate to get stuck on a 2 lane 55 to 65 MPH road (like US 2 on Tuesday) doing only 30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Forgot to say that if the thought of US 2 bothers you, you could always turn around and take the Going To The Sun road back but being off route you would be driving without trouble trailer support.

I've actually been considering doing that myself or possibly just driving the whole day reverse of the route directions in order to have more options for my own pace and to see more of the cars on the road as they come towards me. My car usually runs well and I typically travel with at least a few friends as well as having a cell phone and AAA so trouble truck support isn't a major concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

I hope the planners of this tour accounted for typical model t speed. 30 to 33 mph is the happy spot for my 11, it will go faster but I don't like to push it. My insurance has free towing if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

The trouble trucks will not be allowed in the Park. We are sending one truck to the eat side and one to the west side. In the Park there is a dispatch center who will dispatch a commercial tow truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

I imagine this tour will be handled much like the 2011 tour they hosted out of the same location, going to the same locations. It was pretty much leave when you want, travel as fast as you want, come in when you want. The trouble trucks will sweep the route at a given time, If you decide to linger after the trouble trucks pass, you'll be on your own. My crew Lingered the Glacier park day. We knew we'd be the last cars out. We came in with our headlights on and picked up two stragglers and got them in to port. Montana is a big state with lots of room.
The busiest highway you contend with is the one from Polson to Kalispell.

Have fun travel at your speed and you'll have a great time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Last Montana before we got to Logan pass it was fogged in so we didn't get to see much scenery there. We continued around but afterwards I heard many cars stopped there and went back down to a beautiful different view of the park after the fog lifted. I'd suggest continuing to the lake and then turn back around if you wanted a shorter day. For me the "Road to the Sun" was the grandest part of the whole day!

I've always found some people and cars are happy driving along at 30 and some of us like to run more with the flow of modern traffic. You just have to drive your own comfortable pace. You shouldn't be mad or upset at another T driver that wants to drive faster or think you should driver faster yourself.

As my deceased buddy RDR always said a fast car can always go slow don't push it...Be happy

The thing that many times makes me upset is when a modern car traveling along on the tour with a T at about 30 and other modern cars start backing up behind that first modern car that isn't going to pass. The cars behind always wait for the first car to pass after a few clear spots somebody following further back decides to pass everybody and likely isn't very safe for all.

If you want to drive your modern following a T you need to leave lots of extra room and turn off frequently so traffic isn't really backed up. It's easy for a modern car to catch back up to the T.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 03:52 am:

Have a great time everyone who's going!

Along with my chapter, I'll be driving across the top of Michigan's lower peninsula during that same week. (NOT a boycott, or anything like that. Not many of us are making the long drive to Montana but still wanted a week long tour during that time.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration