Ignition switch keys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ignition switch keys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

I see sets of 4 keys advertised that fit all model T's. How can 4 keys cover them all? How can one key fit more than one switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Most of the variation in keys is in the location of the groove. There are only four variations of the shape of the teeth in the key.

The master keys are so thin they have no groove, so one key for each of the four teeth configurations covers all of the possible combinations. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks Mark. This is one of the things that make me wonder how you know that info. Not questioning, you understand, just asking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/185206.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/374852.html?1374116950

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Tommy, I've been fooling with Model T's for 52 years and I still learn new things from the forum and elsewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

You learn stuff by reading thru all the old posts from all previous years.

Garnet

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

So VERY, VERY true !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 10:23 am:

The master keys tell you what numbers they fit. I believe each master key fits five different numbers. The numbers are stamped on each key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Back around 1952 I inherited a large number of Model T keys from my grandfather who had a fleet of TT trucks for his furniture factory. I didn't have a T at the time but I had a Model A. I put a different floor in the bottom of the turtle back on the A and instead of rivets, I used small bolts and nuts. I used the Model T keys for washers! So if someone finds an early January 1929 Model A with red steering wheel and parking brake in front of the gearshift with a pinch handle similar to a T handle with cloth top around the back window down to the belt line, with a 1930 rumble seat jerry rigged to fit with the floor of the rumble seat fastened down with small bolts and Model T keys, you might have found a small fortune in original keys. I sold the A about August 1953 in Montrose, Ca near Glendale. :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Yeah. But none of the master keys fit my '14 runabout :o(....;o)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration