? re Texas T Distributor cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: ? re Texas T Distributor cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

I have the distributor and the cap. I do not have the clips that hold the cap on to the distributor. Is there an order number for these clips? Do I just take the distributor to NAPA to see if they have the clips? Or call Birdhaven?

Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Maybe try Birdhaven. Distributor is a Bosch so I would think clips should be available, maybe even from a Volkswagen dealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Any auto parts store will have the cap, rotor and points. It is a bosch VW distributor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Ask for parts for a 67 vw beetle. Most NAPA's will have them. There are 2 different style clips, one pop rivets on, the others are held on by a screw. Both work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Funny how we all become so accustomed to the same questions over and over, the mere mention of a part produces and automatic answer. Even though the part(s) suggested have nothing to do with the topic, some just pop out an answer.

"Any auto parts store will have the cap, rotor and points. It is a bosch VW distributor."

While this statement may be true, it has nothing to do with the part being asked about. Come on folks, pay attention to the question. :-) I'm not trying to single out anyone. We all do it. Just a heads up on the topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Stephen
I saw and read the question. Kind of figured if Dave got to the parts counter identified the cap, the counter help would show him the cap with clips for $12, and the clips alone for 7.50.

I went this whole thing a few years ago with my distributor equipped depot hack. Interesting thing was I sawed the rotor in half and found it had a resistor inside the rotor. Never did figure out what that did and why it was there. Maybe to prevent point wear/burning?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

The primary current that goes through the points is not affected by any resister in the rotor.
The resister is for radio noise.
The points ground the primary winding in the coil, when they open the coil collapses causing a very powerful spark to come out of the coil-weather it has a rotor in the distributor or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Aaron
You are correct. Now if I could just find an original T radio things would be complete.
Keep smiling
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Jon, I have seen a T or two with air conditioning but I have never seen one with a radio.
It seems to me car radios were first used in the T days though.
I heard a guy claim his had cruise control. He even demonstrated how the hand throttle controlled the engine speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Aaron

years ago at a car show displaying my '13 I met the nephew of the guy who "invented" putting a radio in cars. Henry Ford stole the idea from him and made a mint.

Later I met the grandson of the same guy, apparently.

Some of the stories you hear are a scream.

How on earth I've heard the same story twice is beyond me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

NAPA does not have the clips. They cannot even order the clips as they do not show up in their references. The distributor has one clip, but I need another one. Waiting to hear from Birdhaven, unless someone has another suggestion. The clip is a snap in clip, not a screw in one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration