1925 Top Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1925 Top Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Dewey Asher Washington IL on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

My 25 ford is an original, unrestored model T touring. I have all the bows, no covering or straps. My plan is to stretch a piece of awning material over the top to provide some protection from the sun. This is not a show car. My problem is with the bows. With the straps attached they will not fold down. Am I correct in assuming that the straps (and even the top material) attaches securely to the front bow. the rear bow and the rear of the car? The 2 center bows (2 & 3 from front) are left to "float" as the top is lowed. As usual, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

If you have the original bows, then look at them to see where there are tack holes. That will tell you what's attached and where.

The top material itself is attached front, rear, and to rear of body, as you state. I think you'll find that the two side pads, and possibly the straps, were attached to each bow. There has to be tension back to front on the middle bows in order to hold them in place.

The price of a kit top is probably not much more than the awning material you mention, and even if you did a so-so job of installing, it would be better than just a piece of fabric over the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 03:55 am:

David & Arthur,

On a '25 the middle bows are located solely by the connecting arms of the top bow assembly and not the bow straps or bow pads.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration