Converting a two piece timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Converting a two piece timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:20 am:

The timer on the 1910 I bought is a reproduction two piece timer and I'd like to convert it to a regular one, like the TW timer (which I've had on all three of my other T's). Is there a trick to this? I've heard you have to switch out the front plate but I'd like to hear from others who have done this successfully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 08:10 am:

Bill
You will need to change the front plate because the one you have now is does not have the counter-bored area for the later (non one piece timer) timer case to fit into and rotate in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 08:30 am:

You can machine a plastic ring that has shoulder that fits inside the original timing cover, and has a shoulder on the outside to accept a standard timer of your choosing. We've made a few and run them on our early engines for years. I will try to get photos later today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Chris: Please get photos, I have problems with the 2 pc timer one of my 11s. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

I will get photos and dimensions but I won't be able to do it until tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Bill,

I modified my 1910 two piece timer to accept the brush in place of the roller. I also added a modern seal to the outside and an O ring to the inside. It works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Here are some photos of the adapter. You also need a longer bolt with a small sleeve to hold a later timer case spring.

This adapter is 3.250 in diameter with a 1.080 hole in the center. Total thickness is 0.400. The shoulder on the back is 2.000 diameter and 0.150 tall, but original timing covers are a slightly different size than the reproductions. Measure yours first. The step on the front side (where the timer rides) is 0.170 deep.

I hope this makes sense. I can draw a series of diagrams with measurements if desired. We've used several for years with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Here are pictures of my 1910 Two Piece Timer with a TW brush and seals installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Rod, I like that idea a lot. Is it a new or original timer, and how is it holding up (how many miles do you have on it)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 08:05 am:

The timer is a reproduction and they are not available new anymore. I bought mine by posting a wanted add on the forum.

The setup is holding up very well. I have less than 1000 miles on it as I don't drive it much, but I am sure it will last a long time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration