Replacing fan, suggestions?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Replacing fan, suggestions?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

I am one lucky ducky. Heard a loud clang a couple weeks ago when taking my grandfather back from a car show in the coupe. Turns out it was one of my fan blades snapping loose and careening off of the road. Fortunately it just nicked some cooling fins a bit and didn't hit the tubes at all. Just a 1/4 inch wide and maybe 1 inch long section of fins bent up.nicked up. what should I replace my fan blade with? Would you suggest a whole new fan unit and if so, what? Or if I should fix/tighten up the current fan unit and add a new old stock fan blade, what should be done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Don't push your luck, install a new fan. there are probably cracks in the other blades too that you are not aware of. Besides that replacing just the one blade will cause imbalance which will aggravate things

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

We have a friend that had a blade break and went right into the radiator. Had to trailer it from there.

In disassembling our T for restoration, I kept that incident in mind. Inspecting the fan, I didn't see any problems until I cleaned it up real good. Low and behold, there was a crack across one blade nearly 90% of the blade width. Now, I'm looking for a new fan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matthew, you're one lucky man. Thank the T gods above. Sure glad you had next to NO damage.

Cheers,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Terry & Matthew...here's a link that might be of value for both your cars.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3961C.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Get this. Excellent quality and super cheap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Thank you gentlemen. It's already been ordered with other items. Sure like dealing with Lang's.

I appreciate your help.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Thanks for the responses guys. I plan on ordering one of those fans. Another question I have is: anything else I should be on the lookout for as far as fan pulley when installing the new fan blade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Just that the bushings aren't worn out and seals missing (which likely both things in fact are...)

Take care of the whole assembly while it's out, keep it lubed, and you'll have one less thing to worry about

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 12:33 am:

If you use original brass bushings, use oil in it, not grease. Oil gets to the bushings better. Next, don't over tighten the fan belt, just enough grip to make the fan turn, no more. The tighter the fan belt the faster the bushing wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

http://www.spokanemodeltclub.com/model-t-fan-upgrade.php

My preferred method of fan replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

I have a 6 volt electric fan from Speedway. I love it. It's hooked up to a switch so I only cut it on when I actually need it. That's a bridge too far for some people though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration